With cordite in the air, splintered steel, shell casings and powder burns, there’s only one explanation...
Old WQ3 forum - archived. Links may not work.

Postby dolny » Sat Aug 07, 2004 9:45 pm

So, people, are we playing or what ? :)
Proud member of the HorseLovers clan.

Red Neckerson wrote:Oh and don't let dolny annoy you...he's a fanatic!
dolny
Gunslinger

are u not? :)

Postby Wyatt Herb » Fri Aug 20, 2004 3:12 pm

sure
I AM playing

~ I LOVE this mod ~

its really awesome!!!
Wyatt Herb
Drifter

new maps?

Postby Wyatt Herb » Fri Aug 20, 2004 3:16 pm

And new maps would be pretty kewl !!!
The pics look great!

I only found one "beta" map on the net (fort_west)
the ladders are not functional on that map ..

but i got it running on my server
WQ3-2.0b - die with your boots on! (tdm)
62.75.159.170:27860
Wyatt Herb
Drifter

Postby aquarius » Sat Aug 06, 2005 4:08 pm

Well I'm just pushing this thread to the top, because I want to see this map in action and perhaps someone is able to persuade lixus to release it. Dame the screens look great! :wink:
aquarius
Shootist

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Mon Aug 08, 2005 5:14 am

Steamboat has a horrible fps problem. All recent efforts to make the map playable have failed. It is such a great map too. :( Maybe Lixus might like to release it just as sort of an artwork to be viewed....but it cannot be played with bots or human opponents without having the very latest pc hardware. I have a 3200+ with 1gb of ddr ram and a 6800gt and my fps drops into the 20's when the shooting starts. :?
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Postby aquarius » Mon Aug 08, 2005 1:47 pm

ReD NeCKersoN wrote:Steamboat has a horrible fps problem. All recent efforts to make the map playable have failed. It is such a great map too. :( Maybe Lixus might like to release it just as sort of an artwork to be viewed....but it cannot be played with bots or human opponents without having the very latest pc hardware. I have a 3200+ with 1gb of ddr ram and a 6800gt and my fps drops into the 20's when the shooting starts. :?

Oh, I didn't know that. Judging from the screens, the map doesn't look like a performance killer. :cry:
aquarius
Shootist

Postby Breli » Mon Aug 08, 2005 2:32 pm

Hi,

now that I've learned a little bit about hinting and from l3thal's post, I guess the Steamboat map suffers from the same problem that I've with my own map (although not that distinctive since mine is really small). Q3A wasn't designed for outdoor maps and hint brushing an outdoor map like Steamboat simply isn't feasible.

Additionally, there are other performance "killers" like smoke and water. I guess you already tried to delete at least the smoke brushes? That'll give a HUGE performance boost. I accidently placed a single fog brush in my map once. Performance dropped immediately to 20-40 percent and I didn't change anything else.

Of course, you'll lose a lot of atmosphere and eye candy
:( ...

If you guys are really planning to port the mod to another engine, it's suitability for outdoor maps should probably be considered.

Mapping gets more and more difficult the more you know about it :wink:

breli
SG name: =SG= BRELI

Harmonica: Did you bring a horse?
Gunmen: Looks like we are short on one horse!
Harmonica: No. You brought two too many.
Breli
SG Team

Postby L3th4l » Tue Aug 09, 2005 12:31 am

I am still working on steamboat, I have a few more tricks up my sleeve. Steamboat is a very large map (over 4500 brushes) and is designed in such a way that makes it hard to hint. With some redesign and alot of swearing, I should be able to make it playable.. No promises though..
Last edited by L3th4l on Tue Aug 09, 2005 3:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
L3th4l
Smokin' Amigo!

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Tue Aug 09, 2005 12:39 am

breli wrote:If you guys are really planning to port the mod to another engine, it's suitability for outdoor maps should probably be considered.

Indeed. :wink: An engine that doesn't support outdoor environments would not even be considered.

I had two pro mappers (from very successful q3 mods) look at steamboat. One said nothing could be done for it. The other has basically said the same thing but tried to fix it anyway. All attempts have failed so far. :( There is very little hope the map will ever be playable in wq3 without stripping it of all the things that make it so beautiful. IF a port to a new engine ever happens we would certainly try to put steamboat to use at that time. :)
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Postby L3th4l » Tue Aug 09, 2005 1:13 am

ReD NeCKersoN wrote:I had two pro mappers (from very successful q3 mods) look at steamboat. One said nothing could be done for it. The other has basically said the same thing but tried to fix it anyway.

*cough* that second one would be me *cough* and I am still trying.. I don't like to give up..
L3th4l
Smokin' Amigo!

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Tue Aug 09, 2005 2:54 am

Woops! I guess your post beat mine to the page and I didn't notice. :oops: I wasn't sure you'd like for me to mention that you were the one trying to fix it but I guess the cat's out of the bag now! I know how much trouble this has been for Lethal (TeamSpeak is a wonderful tool) but I know I am not alone in hoping he can find a way to make this gorgeous map playable. But like he said, no promises. :?
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Postby BITE_ME!! » Tue Aug 09, 2005 5:52 am

Red....would it port to RTCW Wildwest ok? Or would it have sames issues on that engine?
BITE_ME!!
Pistolero

Postby aquarius » Tue Aug 09, 2005 10:31 am

Porting the mod to an other game engine isn't that easy. Look at the urban terror guys. They spent a lot of time porting to ET although it is based on the q3 engine.

The Quake3 Source will probably be released later this year or at the beginning of the next year (cross your fingers). I think it would be better to concentrate on a standalone release. This can bring a lot of people to this game!

my-2-cent
aquarius
Shootist

Postby El vAkonD » Tue Aug 09, 2005 10:41 am

aquarius wrote:This can bring a lot of people to this game!

i agree.
El vAkonD
SG Team

Postby BITE_ME!! » Tue Aug 09, 2005 9:40 pm

BITE_ME!!
Pistolero

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion

Show Sidebar
Show Sidebar

User Control Panel