With cordite in the air, splintered steel, shell casings and powder burns, there’s only one explanation...
Old WQ3 forum - archived. Links may not work.

Western Territory ;) - WQ3 conversion to ET?

Postby dolny » Wed May 11, 2005 5:01 pm

How hard would it be to convert the game to the Enemy Territory engine? This way we would gain some attention (there are like 2 mods for ET, one is worth checking) so a new mod would get some players. Maybe someone would be able to port it to ET since it is free and anybody can download it... well I know nobody would do it. This is the best mod I have ever played in my life. It has an atmosphere that is hard to describe. Cheers all.
Proud member of the HorseLovers clan.

Red Neckerson wrote:Oh and don't let dolny annoy you...he's a fanatic!
dolny
Gunslinger

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Wed May 11, 2005 5:04 pm

Yeah , that would be sweet for sure. Don't know of any coders that would take on such a task though. :?
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Postby dolny » Wed May 11, 2005 5:12 pm

That's the only way, the last hope :) We could get a normal playerbase that way, and maybe someone from that community would be eager to help. I mean, c'mon, this is the best western mod ever...and best game conversion I have ever played, seriously. No game had such great atmosphere ever.

dolny
Gunslinger

Postby torhu » Wed May 11, 2005 6:04 pm

I guess you all know about 'The Wild West' for RtCW. I haven't got rtcw, so I haven't been able to try the mod. Can anyone tell us what that mod is like, how does it compare to wq3? Seems it has some kind of objective-based gamemode, maybe it's a bit like br.

There's been some talk over at the WW forum about porting it to ET, but it seems they can't be bothered. You can do some wonderful graphics with the ET engine, so that could've been pretty cool. Just look at something like the village or hideout maps in the TCE mod.

Maybe someone could bug the old wq3 devs about porting it? Probably a waste of time, though. Or envision a joint venture by the wq3 and WW devs to make a new western mod on ET. Like the holy grail of western mods. Only the horses from LawDogs for ut2004 would be missing.

Here are the WW links:
http://www.the-wildwest.co.uk/
http://forums.filefront.com/forumdispla ... orumid=250

WW actually has 9 servers running, most of them in Europe.
In game: =SG=monSter
Monster Browser
torhu
SG Team

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Wed May 11, 2005 7:52 pm

The WildWest for RTCW is VERY different from WQ3. It's basically RTCW with different weapons, maps and models. If you like RTCW or ET you might like the WW mod. It's actually a pretty good mod but don't expect it to be anything at all like WQ3 though. There is absolutely no "spaghetti western" feel to it at all, in my opinion.
I just happen to be friends with some of the WW team and I don't think they will mind if I give you a little "non-classified" info. It is rumored they are considering porting their mod to ET but I don't have any details and cannot confirm this. Capt. Queeg even hinted at this somewhere in this forum. At the moment, they have permission to convert some of the WQ3 maps for use in the WW mod. I have looked at a very early port of Sancuchillo for instance. They even asked me to help convert the maps, since they noticed my work for WQ3, but I have too much real life stuff going on to devote quality time to it, so I declined. I am helping them as sort of an "alpha tester" and WQ3 consultant though.

Do not waste your time asking the WQ3 team to port anything to ET. They are done with this mod. I even had some difficulty getting information from any of them regarding porting wq_town and wq_train. Thankfully, they gave me enough to get started. :)
I too was hoping the WW team might use some of the ideas from WQ3 in their mod to make a WW/WQ3 hybrid, but I don't think it will happen anytime soon...if at all. (Unless you count the map ports.)
Yes, they have 9 servers. If you'll look, you will see that they are generally as empty as the WQ3 servers. :oops: Their forums are more active than ours but it is a very small group of posters.
I believe a western mod will have to come out on a new engine before we see a solid community again. A mod for ET would be great, but I am hoping someone will do a WQ4 when QuakeIV comes out. 8O Maybe I would be interested in mapping for it if we get a coder and a modeller together. But that's a little ways off I think.
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

lol-

Postby Aerasol » Fri May 13, 2005 2:32 am

"Only the horses from LawDogs for ut2004 would be missing. "- lol- maybe with a little dynamic scripting... and a little... borrowing from COD, we could get some vehicles with horse models and sounds... hmm... sounds like a job for!... someone else...
Aerasol
Pistolero

Postby dolny » Fri Jul 01, 2005 12:14 pm

dolny
Gunslinger

Postby sah » Fri Jul 01, 2005 10:20 pm

Hey,

I got here by dolny's post on TC:E forum. I think converting the mod to ET would be your best bet since I see TC:E gaining more and more popularity even though it's not frequently updated. People like free stuff and the game itself is still played, unlike Q3.
sah
Newcomer

Postby dolny » Fri Jul 01, 2005 11:38 pm

Well, we would need people to do that. Can you help somehow? Coding, mapping, modelling? For Quake3...

dolny
Gunslinger

Postby torhu » Fri Jul 01, 2005 11:39 pm

I'm wondering what will happen once the source for the Q3 executable is released. Wouldn't that mean we could release the mod as a standalone game, with no cdkey? It's supposedly not far away either, maybe it will be released later this year.
In game: =SG=monSter
Monster Browser
torhu
SG Team

Postby dolny » Fri Jul 01, 2005 11:41 pm

Yes, we can release it as no-cdkey game. That will/would be great. Pity that John C. haven't released it earlier, as he promised (before 2005). I know why, but it's just sad ;)

They won't release the data files under GPL, only code, does WQ3 require some specific Quake3 images, sounds etc? I don't think so. If it does, they can be replaced by our own. Anyway, that will allow us to release it as a standalone game, which is absolutely great.

dolny
Gunslinger

Return to General Discussion

Show Sidebar
Show Sidebar

User Control Panel