With cordite in the air, splintered steel, shell casings and powder burns, there’s only one explanation...
Everything about Smokin' Guns releases

Moderators: torhu, Tequila

Postby Tequila » Thu Nov 12, 2009 1:19 am

Tequila wrote:Can anyone confirm a minor but annoying problem I got with OpenAL support ? I especially want to know if the problem is present also under Windows.

I still opened a bug on ioQuake3 bugzilla: http://bugzilla.icculus.org/show_bug.cgi?id=4336
And any other experience will help them, so tell me and I'll report or just participate to the bugzilla report.

Well nobody heard me but don't worry, Thilo from ioQ3 still had fixed the issue and it will be released in next beta engine ;)
Tequila
SG Team

Postby Lucky Luke » Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:09 am

Hi tequila!

Just to report, that with ubuntu karmic, removing pulseaudio solve all sounds problems with the beta. I don't know if pulseaudio is for something useful, but it works good without.

With pulseaudio, it was (with the last beta) all unstable. The game crashed when trying to use sound options (les nouvelles options pour le son) and restarting the sound system... and it was even impossible to kill the process with killall (so only a sudo reboot worked), or it was no sound, or strange echo etc...
it seemed to work also (but not with the last beta, and unstable), to open pulseaudio volume control, and live it open before to run the game...

So, i don't know, if the problem comes from pulseaudio, because music and video were working good (i'm not running others games), the only problem was with SG. (pulseaudio is part of ubuntu-desktop, so it's an important package)

Anyway, just say me if you think i can help you and how.

Ciao
Lucky Luke
Pistolero

Postby Tequila » Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:32 am

Thanks Lucky Luke,
just as a precision, do you use OpenAL or SDL ? I guess you're using OpenAL.

Did you notice you can select the "Device" in the OpenAL panel by just clicking on the line ?
This function is really useful on linux.
[thumb=http://forum.smokin-guns.org/userpix/1560_Capture_1.jpg][timg]1560_Capture_1.jpg[/timg][/thumb]

Which version of OpenAL library is there on your Karmic Ubuntu ? I got recently the openal-soft-1.11.753-1.fc11.x86_64 on my Fedora 11 and it still has many fixes with PulseAudio support.

So yes, we can say OpenAL with PulseAudio as audio backend still seems to be unstable... but things goes better.

Edition: :oops: just noticed a bug in that UI menu...
Tequila
SG Team

Postby Lucky Luke » Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:52 am

Before i removed pulseaudio, i was trying the both. With openal, sound was very ugly (with echos and latence). It worked, not to use openal, before the last beta (so that switch of openal in the console worked fine). But in the new beta, when i used the openal panel (i noticed it :) ), restarting the sound after choosing not to use openal, freezed the all game (and using console in the game made no more effect) (and i think it freeze because it use 100 % CPU)

The version in synaptic is libopenal1 1:1.8.466-2.
I don't know if there is a newer version?

edit: yep, that's it i think :) a bug...
Lucky Luke
Pistolero

Previous

Return to Release

Show Sidebar
Show Sidebar

User Control Panel