With cordite in the air, splintered steel, shell casings and powder burns, there’s only one explanation...
Everything about Smokin' Guns releases

Moderators: torhu, Tequila

About new damage mode beta test

Postby Tequila » Fri Dec 11, 2009 4:54 pm

Now with v1.1b3, we have to test a new damage mode. This mode is enabled on all my Beta servers.

The mode is still described here: Weapon damage and range thread

To enable this mode, I'm just using a cfg file I can "exec" on the server side. I can do the same to reset to current SG 1.0 mode. Here is the content of that file:
Code: Select all
set g_bulletDamageMode 1

set g_bulletDamageAlert 1

// See http://forum.smokin-guns.org/viewtopic.php?p=15715#15715 for some explanation
//set g_bulletDamageALDRmidrangefactor 2
//set g_bulletDamageALDRmidpointfactor 0.66
//set g_bulletDamageALDRminifactor 0.5

// Knife
//damage 1 50
//range 1 2000

// Pistol, Remington 58
spread 2 100
damage 2 23
range 2 600

// Pistol Smith&Wesson Schofield
spread 3 150
damage 3 30
range 3 600

// Pistol Colt Peacemaker
spread 4 100
damage 4 38
range 4 750

// Rifle Winchester 1866
spread 5 70
damage 5 44
range 5 3000

// Rifle Colt Lightning
spread 6 80
damage 6 44
range 6 3000

// Rifle Sharps
spread 7 10
damage 7 65
range 7 4000

// Shotgun Remington 12 Gauge
spread 8 250
damage 8 17
range 8 600

// Shotgun Sawed Off
spread 9 800
damage 9 15.3
range 9 500

// Shotgun Winchester 1897
spread 10 200
damage 10 11.25
range 10 600

In this file, I enable the mode and adjust few weapon stats thanks to new torhu's weapon command.

Here I resume what is really changed and can have a real effect other the gameplay:
* spread is reduced for each weapon, so weapons are more accurate
* range for is multiplied by 3 or 4 for riffles so they shouldn't have too much damage reduction at high range
* range for shotgun is reduced a little

Of course, these values are arbitrary and I'll listen any advice to tune them in the better way.

So please, test it !! Test it !! Test it !! And tell what you think.
Try the online beta servers or create a config file like I did and test it locally.
8)

Edition:
* set g_bulletDamageAlert to 1
* fix weapon number for "Shotgun Winchester 1897" was set to the "Shotgun Remington 12 Gauge" one, sorry I was tired...
Last edited by Tequila on Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tequila
SG Team

Postby mLy! » Fri Dec 11, 2009 9:02 pm

Very nice changes, but I'd like to see a little damage increase for the winchester shotgun.
And how is the spread for the pistols on alternate fire?

maybe we can set a date/time to test this?
My Latest fragmovies:
Winning BB cup
mLy!
Gunslinger

Postby dowoshek » Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:32 pm

When exactly should the message about reduced % of damage (because of long distance) be printed? I think it should be visible every time reduction happens, but I noticed it is not (it looks random for me - I mean: sometimes it is not printed when it should be). Or maybe it's not printed when damage drops to 0?

And second thing: when I play with bots (single player mode) the weapon settings seams ok (lowered spread, useful rifles and so on), but on "Public BETA 1.1b3" it's completely different (?) - the spread seems to be very high (like in 1.1b2 settings that we were testing). Are you sure spread is set as above in this topic and nothing is messed?
Am I the only one who get it this way? Because I'm starting thinking that something is completely wrong and messed with my installation of beta3...
dowoshek
Gunslinger

Postby Tequila » Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:45 am

dowoshek wrote:When exactly should the message about reduced % of damage (because of long distance) be printed? I think it should be visible every time reduction happens, but I noticed it is not (it looks random for me - I mean: sometimes it is not printed when it should be). Or maybe it's not printed when damage drops to 0?

As you can see in the cfg:
Code: Select all
set g_bulletDamageAlert 25
This means alert will only be sent if the reduction is at least of 25%.
The maximum reduction damage is leaved to the default: 50%. And so damage won't drop to 0.
Do you think we should set the alert level to 1% to really see what happens with damage during the beta ?

About your second thing, you're comparing 1.1b2 and 1.1b3 in a way they are not different. I'm really not sure to understand you. You should know we didn't change weapon stat defaults, so you should really have the same weapon stat from SG1.0 to SG 1.1b3 in single player mode. Did you play with g_bulletDamageMode and weapon stat commands ?
Tequila
SG Team

Postby torhu » Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:55 am

Shouldn't the new weapon code be enabled on the beta servers, so people can test it? It doesn't do much good if it's not enabled. :roll:
In game: =SG=monSter
Monster Browser
torhu
SG Team

Postby dowoshek » Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:50 am

Yes, I think information about every reduction should be visible (maybe not only for testing purposes?). And btw, if the limit is set to 25% why did I get messages of reducing >TO< 82% or around? :)

My point is: when I currently connect to Public BETA 1.1b3 I get spread bigger than in 1.0 - shooting seems more random. I can shoot from 3-5 "meters" with feeling "it must be a hit, damn" but IT IS NOT :) I've not seen any comment about the new weapon settings on the forum so far... so I wonder where's the problem: the weapon settings, server settings or simply my crappy copy of beta3? So I wait for your results of weapon testing :)
dowoshek
Gunslinger

Postby Tequila » Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:21 pm

Well, it was indeed enabled, and it is still :P
Btw 'cause of an issue in the engine that should be fixed by ioQuake3 team soon, g_bulletDamageMode seems not to be set to 1 when you asked "serverinfo" as client

But I really made mistakes in my server cfg files...

Firstly, as I put my cfg in the "smokinguns" folder, I tried to "exec smokinguns/damage_mode_1.cfg"... That's completely stupid... Should I have to say nobody is perfect ;) ? So that's fixed, and now new settings are really loaded.
Indeed, until now, you tested my new bullet damage reduction system but with SG 1.0 weapon stat settings. So I still don't understand why dowoshek feels he got spread bigger than in SG 1.0...

Secondly, I made a little mistake when setting weapon stat for "Shotgun Winchester 1897", see my note in the first post I edited.

Then, I updated the alert limit to 1% so you should get every reduction damage alerts. Btw, remember, you only get alert if the distance to your hit is greater than the set range.

dowoshek, the g_bulletDamageAlert is a reduction limit. Then the message you got is the complement to 100% of the found reduction damage. The message is saying to you what is finally the applied damage: "At this range, your weapon's damage was reduced to 82%"
We think this would be more clear to players to see the damage applied is not 100% but lower when they hit at high range.

Then sorry for the misunderstanding and my mistakes, but I'm really just a human ;)
Tequila
SG Team

Postby dowoshek » Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:17 pm

OK, I'll try these brand-new ;) settings.

Tequila wrote:dowoshek, the g_bulletDamageAlert is a reduction limit. Then the message you got is the complement to 100% of the found reduction damage. The message is saying to you what is finally the applied damage: "At this range, your weapon's damage was reduced to 82%"
We think this would be more clear to players to see the damage applied is not 100% but lower when they hit at high range.

Exactly... and 100-82 < 25, then why the message was printed? :)
dowoshek
Gunslinger

Postby Tequila » Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:33 pm

dowoshek wrote:Exactly... and 100-82 < 25, then why the message was printed? :)

Hey dowoshek, stop harass me :P
I think g_bulletDamageAlert was still set to 1... and maybe btw torhu was right for g_bulletDamageMode. I think I was confused with the huge lot of things to do for the release, so I apologize again if I'm a bad server admin :roll:
You know too many stuff to think about and old aged brain burning and smoking...
:D
Tequila
SG Team

Postby dowoshek » Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:04 pm

OK, I'll give you a break... as soon as you'll add few bots on beta3 servers so we could test something or maybe even a possibility of adding bots by regular user? It's difficult to test the game without opponents ;)
dowoshek
Gunslinger

Postby mLy! » Thu Dec 17, 2009 12:13 pm

some minor changes:

Increase Sharps damage to 80
Increase winchester shotgun range to 750

some major changes:
Decrease Colt pistol damage

PS: we need some headbox discussion, some damage values need to be changed
My Latest fragmovies:
Winning BB cup
mLy!
Gunslinger

Postby Sucalakafufu » Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:21 pm

mLy wrote:some major changes:
Decrease Colt pistol damage

do you mean to decrease the Colt pistol damage from what it is in 1.1b3?
because i have tested them and their damage HAS been decreased OR something has been done to make them feel like the damage has been decreased.
so do you mean we should decrease it more?
SG Name: Sucalakafufu
Clan: [CWNN] - Clan With No Name
Sucalakafufu
Gunslinger

Postby torhu » Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:13 am

Sucalakafufu wrote:do you mean to decrease the Colt pistol damage from what it is in 1.1b3?
because i have tested them and their damage HAS been decreased OR something has been done to make them feel like the damage has been decreased.

The only change is that it now takes three legshots instead of two to kill.
In game: =SG=monSter
Monster Browser
torhu
SG Team

Postby Sucalakafufu » Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:51 am

torhu wrote:
Sucalakafufu wrote:do you mean to decrease the Colt pistol damage from what it is in 1.1b3?

The only change is that it now takes three legshots instead of two to kill.

ahh and that is what i had tested :P so i guess their damage COULD be lowered... although i think the 3 legshot kills should be kept :)

although in my opinion. with the reduced range of the peacemakers i didnt feel like they were overpowered
SG Name: Sucalakafufu
Clan: [CWNN] - Clan With No Name
Sucalakafufu
Gunslinger

Postby moRtem » Fri Dec 18, 2009 4:45 pm

since i have never seen more than 3 human players at the same time playing on 1.1b until now, i guess noone can do a real judgment about proposed changes already

we need more players on the server to make up a real conclusion

/quit
moRtem
Gunslinger

Next

Return to Release

Show Sidebar
Show Sidebar

User Control Panel