With cordite in the air, splintered steel, shell casings and powder burns, there’s only one explanation...
Everything about Smokin' Guns releases

Moderators: torhu, Tequila

Re: Weapon switching

Postby Biondo » Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:17 pm

You have to know your q3config.cfg file and how to bind keys to actions. See for a partial example: http://lameclan.altervista.org/blog/faq ... tion-file/ and http://lameclan.altervista.org/blog/faq ... cular-key/
Biondo
SG Website Designer

Postby NightcrawleR » Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:33 pm

Another nice thing to add, along with a more intuitive switching menu, would be to make the list start from the bottom when you press a number key. Currently, the most powerful weapons are at the bottom of the list when you have multiple guns (i.e, the akimbos). Instead of pressing 2, three times, you could simply press 2 then click once and begin firing away.

This would be for those who enjoy the confirmation menu. For those who enjoy fast switching, simply implement keys for all the weapon types, in the control menu. There aren't really that many weapons. The ability to bind keys to weapons from the controls menu would definitely bring a lot more people to the game.

For example: You could implement, in the controls menu, the following:

Dynamite: <key>
Molotov: <key>
Remington58: <key>
S&W Schofield: <key>
Colt Peacemaker: <key>
Akimbo: <key>
Bowie Knife Melee: <key>
Bowie Knife Throwing Position: <key>
Winchester 1866: <key>
Colt lightning: <key>
Sharps Rifle w/o Scope: <key>
Sharps Rifle w/ Scope: <key>
Gatling Gun: <key>
Dynamite: <key>

To keep things looking nice, this could all be in a sub-menu of the controls. I recommend having these all unbinded at the start, and letting players pick their own binds, but that's just my opinion.

I realize this is all possible in the config file, but that's for more experienced players. There needs to be a system in place for beginners to understand what the heck is going on.

Again, this system would apply for people who have fast switching turned on or off, and it wouldn't make one playing style (fast switching on vs fast switching off) better than the other.
NightcrawleR
Pistolero

Postby jippi-ja-yeah » Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:03 pm

Just bind my knife! :twisted:
In game: JippieJaYeah aka TheFlyingChicken
http://www.lameclan.org
jippi-ja-yeah
Drifter

Postby Pardner » Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:22 pm

I don't bind anything. I use B then numbers to buy (CS style) and the mouse to switch weapons. Learn to use your quick swap key and which direction the mousewheel changes weapons. I think the only config tweaks I make is for recording demos and rcon commands. Everything else I think I used the GUI to set up.

:twisted: Don't know what people are complaining about :roll:
Pardner
SG Team

Postby TheDoctor » Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:32 pm

Personally, I consider weapon switching a part of the skill set one needs to aquire to be good at this game. The little development ressources we have left is best spent elsewhere.
TheDoctor
Smokin' Amigo!

Postby iLag » Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:24 pm

*Bump*

After nearly a year of not playing Smokin Guns I felt really bad about abandoning the game, so I decided to make up for it by looking at the bugtracker. Let's see the open issues. 47? Well, I'm a fan of the Hitman series of video games, so I figured I'd take a look at it. Turns out that it's about implementing fast weapon switching, and even referenced this thread. After a couple of hours, I managed to create a source code patch which helps solve the problem.

A new console command is added, \instaswap, which takes a weapon slot as its sole parameter:
knife
pistol1
pistol2
akimbo
longgun
dynamite
molotov

If the command is entered correctly and you actually have the weapon in question, then your character will draw the weapon in that slot, bypassing the selection menu.

Here's a download link to a compiled version of this patch. Place this file in "Smokin guns/smokinguns", or wherever you find sg_pak0.pk3 - just don't overwrite sg_pak0, as that would be very bad. This compiled version is based on 1.1 rather than the latest 1.2dev as the source code patch is. You should be able to play online as the only changed file in it is vm/cgame.vm, which only changes things client-side, but if not, you'll still be able to play in singleplayer. Of course, just because you can doesn't mean you necessarily should, as having this advantage could be considered cheating.

Anyway, please test the patch in singleplayer (or multiplayer with server admin permission) and tell me if this is what you wanted or isn't, if there are bugs in it, and whatever else comes to mind.
iLag
SG Contributor

Previous

Return to Release

Show Sidebar
Show Sidebar

User Control Panel