With cordite in the air, splintered steel, shell casings and powder burns, there’s only one explanation...
Everything about Smokin' Guns releases

Moderators: torhu, Tequila

A CALL to the community - SG 1.1 beta 5

Postby Joe Kari » Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:08 pm

============================
A CALL to the community

Hi,

Many years have passed since SG 1.0 was out.
SG 1.0 was a big success, the old Western Quake3 2.2 had little few players in the end, but the project revived, and a lot of player were coming from all countries.

But year after year, no new release have fed our players, and right now, there are only big fan still playing.

Recently, things got worse: firstly RAWHIDE, the lengendary WQ3/SG server left us, and now all American are orphans. And lastly, ID Software master server died after years of honourable services. Now the builtin server-tracker of all SG 1.0 client is useless, and it is now complicated for newbies to figure out how to join a game.

The game is in great danger.

Also, years after years, almost all SG Dev members become unactive.
Now, most of us are at least 30 years old, we have jobs, we have a girlfriend or a wife, some have children... We are all busy with life, so it become harder and harder to dedicate some times to the game.

So... Are we going to die?......

I say: NO WAY.

I have spent a lot of time since SG 1.0, and there is NO WAY it will be wasted.

It is time to do something before it's too late.

THIS IS TIME TO DO SOMETHING TOGETHER.

Time to all people who are still big fan of the game to get involved.

How to help?

Everyone can help us.

You are a player? So you can download SG 1.1 beta5, test it, and report critical issues. Please vote and talk about your experiences here.

You have an account to a file hosting service? So you can mirror the package. For instance, I host it in my little virtual private server, but I have a very small bandwidth. The current package's size is 385MB.

You rent a SG server? So you can download and install an up to date SG 1.1 beta5 in one of your server to allow real-world testing by players.

You are an experienced coder? So you can help bugfixing the whole thing. If you write a patch for a bugfix, copy-paste a diff (into a "code" tag/BBcode) with all informations (svn revision, etc). Only bugfixes are allowed right now, do not send new features. You can find the sourcecode here. If you think you can contribute, go here.

What are we aiming for?

It is not the time to code extra feature or additionnal content.
SG 1.1 is overdue.

What we need right now is a package that is stable enough.
There are still many bugs, we know that.
Don't expect bugs to be corrected, except CRITICAL one (crash, freeze, unplayability, etc).

Non-critical issue would be fixed later, in another release.
Have in mind that because of the lost of ID Software master server, we have to release as soon as possible.

The current state of the release

I have tried to build a package last sunday.
Sadly, I've experienced big trouble with Windows binaries. Linux bins are fine, but Win client has crazy freezes, sometime it freezes 1 or 2 seconds, sometime it freezes forever (and that can be reproduced at will).
I have invested it, and I found that it was introduced in SVN r579, after an ioquake3 backport.
So I have made a new branche (branches/1.1-release) from branches/1.1 r578, and then I have merged again everything except ioquake3 backport.

Now I have something working. However, it doesn't have enough testing to know if it is stable or not.
That's the purpose of this public beta-test session.

If it works not too bad (let's say: as good as SG 1.0 works), this beta will become the SG 1.1 release.

Also, some may notice that this beta is tagged as unofficial: that's just because I have decided to organize this beta-test on my own. So this thread doesn't represent anyone or anything except my own will. Not a big deal: it will be official when the job will be done.

There is no installer at the moment, I don't know anything about installer. We may eventually provide one for the official release. Right now, you have to unzip it (using winrar, winzip, 7zip, ...) to some place in your hard drive, enter the directory and run smokinguns.exe (windows) or smokinguns.i386 (linux).

Current mirrors

SG 1.1 beta 5a unofficial: slow download | 1fichier.com | parttimegeeks | rapidshare | loop8 | ModDB | q3alive
md5sum: 7cfb2462a37a3f29b2a3feedaaf9a1d9

This post can be edited at anytime.
Stay tuned.
Last edited by Joe Kari on Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:50 pm, edited 8 times in total.
Joe Kari
SG Team

Postby Barto » Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:49 pm

I uploaded the .exe there. This are the last svn revision. I compiled them using MinGW and minSys on a Windows XP machine with a Intel Pentium 4, 32bit CPU. I guarantee anything about those binaries.
I personally run the svn version (1.1 branche) since few months, I had only those freeze on big maps.

1.1-release branch (Joe's - r629)
http://www.gamefront.com/files/21375632 ... ranche.zip

1.1 branch (With ioquake3 backport - r621)
http://www.gamefront.com/files/21375634 ... ranche.zip

Md5s:
2bce88cf0332afcec52cde5b6b0cdb7f *SG-1.1-branche.zip
1d8e4e0a486aa0b0ef74721fa2749874 *SG-1.1-release-branche.zip

Btw, while compiling 1.1-release branche, I got that output:
Code: Select all
TOOLS_CC code/tools/lcc/etc/lcc.c
TOOLS_CC code/tools/lcc/etc/bytecode.c
TOOLS_CC code/tools/lcc/src/alloc.c
TOOLS_CC code/tools/lcc/src/bind.c
TOOLS_CC code/tools/lcc/src/bytecode.c
TOOLS_CC code/tools/lcc/src/dag.c
TOOLS_CC code/tools/lcc/lburg/lburg.c
TOOLS_CC code/tools/lcc/lburg/gram.c
LD build/release-mingw32-x86/tools/lburg/lburg.exe
LBURG code/tools/lcc/src/dagcheck.md
TOOLS_CC_DAGCHECK build/release-mingw32-x86/tools/rcc/dagcheck.c
gcc.exe: build/release-mingw32-x86/tools/rcc/dagcheck.c: No such file or directory
gcc.exe: no input files
make[2]: *** [build/release-mingw32-x86/tools/rcc/dagcheck.o] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/d/smokinguns1.1-release'
make[1]: *** [targets] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/d/smokinguns1.1-release'
make: *** [release] Error 2

BTW, I still have my current binaries (r620 - 1.1 branche) somewhere, tell me if you need them.
"Chuck Norris had to shorten his beard in the presence of Richard Stallman because two beards that awesome, so close would segfault the universe (again)."
Barto
Jeuxlinux Admin

Postby Joe Kari » Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:19 pm

Hi Barto,

Have in mind that 1.1-release have all ioq3 backport performed before r579, and note that currently the last stable ioq3 version were released in 2009, as ioq3 1.36.
Post r579 backport were taken from ioq3 2011's code, and I guess it has not been tested very well since other game would probably use the last stable release.

So I think we can forget ioq3 for instance...

I will try to look why the makefile failed for you, on my ubuntu, I was able to cross-compile without trouble (and the cross-compiled binaries works like a charm on my WinXP).

How have you built a 1.1-release binary if you have got an error? Did you edit some files?

Just to avoid people being confused: the link I provided include the whole game. That's not only the binary that have to be tested, but the whole package.

Thanks for your feedback ;)

EDIT: Actually, your 1.1r620 freeze to death just like anyone I have compiled before. If you want a quick test: run the latest Alamo, go to the church, then look toward the tex-mex village. If you look at a certain place, it will freeze almost forever.
It also happens on Alamo 1 (from SG 1.0), but at another place in the tex-mex village. And it happens on various map in a lesser extends.

EDIT 2: I get some trouble uploading the file to a free file hosting website... They claim to support files up to few GB, but it always failed after few MB. If someone know a good free website, please let me know (or upload it yourself, and I will edit my first post).
Joe Kari
SG Team

Postby moRtem » Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:42 pm

slow download is a lot faster than the other.

Getting the file right now. hope it's still compatible with 1.0
moRtem
Gunslinger

Postby moRtem » Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:57 am

I just tried 1.1b5a and got a question.

Why did you alter e.g. sg_pak0.pk3 ? Wouldn't it be better to do updates by adding more pk3s, e.g. by putting all files that changed (or are new) into a new file sg_pak1.pk3 ?

Then the new built would be compatible with "old" servers still (i guess).
moRtem
Gunslinger

Postby Joe Kari » Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:09 am

@ moRtem:
Because if things goes well, this beta5 will be promoted 1.1rc1, then 1.1.

Do you think it's really important? I hope that as soon as 1.1 is out, every server will upgrade to 1.1.

Then the new built would be compatible with "old" servers still (i guess).
I don't know, since some change have been done in the engine part (the part that goes directly into the binary), but the game protocol haven't change... It may work, but it may have some side-effect too... Honestly, I don't really know.

Also, for a beta-testing purpose, it doesn't make sense at all to test it with old 1.0 QVM.

Can you tell me if it ran fine when you have tried it? And can you vote here? I need some feedback to estimate the quality of this potential release.
Joe Kari
SG Team

Postby sunrise » Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:42 am

Just downloaded it and played a few maps.
Its runs totally smooth and it didnt crash at all.
Perfomace is stable on all maps except alamao 2.
Going to test localmultiplayer tomorrow with dount.

Btw i think this topic is worth to be mentioned in the sg news.
sunrise
Quick Draw

Postby moRtem » Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:41 am

Joe Kari wrote:Do you think it's really important? I hope that as soon as 1.1 is out, every server will upgrade to 1.1.

When you are not sure about compatibility, it's probably better to not be able to play on a (pure) 1.0-Server with 1.1 Client

Also, for a beta-testing purpose, it doesn't make sense at all to test it with old 1.0 QVM.

Ya well - I don't have time to do excessive testing, that's why i mostly test them while playing online. Since there is no 1.1-Server with players on, i am usually playing on Jeux or Ballerbude. Ofc it would be better to test with the whole package. But e.g. the very slow map-loading procedure can also be seen while connecting to an old server (and also in 1.1b5a it takes ages to load the map).

There's some test-server running? Would it be possible to gather some players for a test-day (-> newspost!)?

Can you tell me if it ran fine when you have tried it?

i didn't really test it yet. I just tried to connect to an 1.0-server once, and noticed that it didn't work. Then i started a local server, and noticed that the lightning and graphics seems to be different from 1.1b4 altough using the same config.

Btw i think this topic is worth to be mentioned in the sg news.

True that.

Going to test localmultiplayer tomorrow with dount.

I'd probably participate, in case i am at home. Would be cool, if you'd hit me up at IRC.
moRtem
Gunslinger

Postby Pardner » Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:41 pm

sunrise wrote:Btw i think this topic is worth to be mentioned in the sg news.

I will try to get something out today. I am just coming back online at my new apartment. I am just a little behind on Joe's work, the masterserver problem, and pretty much the SG scene for the last month!
Pardner
SG Team

Re: A CALL to the community - SG 1.1 beta 5

Postby ricochet » Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:45 pm

Joe Kari wrote:I say: NO WAY.

I have spent a lot of time since SG 1.0, and there is NO WAY it will be wasted.

It is time to do something before it's too late.

THIS IS TIME TO DO SOMETHING TOGETHER.

Thanks Joe for this initiative. I am not a long-time player, but i was sensing the same. Time to get the community together. There are enough smart and responsible people out there to get this done. Just needs a spark and this could be it.

Joe Kari wrote:You have an account to a file hosting service? So you can mirror the package. For instance, I host it in my little virtual private server, but I have a very small bandwidth. The current package's size is 385MB.

I will put it on my server today, which has pretty good bandwidth. URLs will follow.

Joe Kari wrote:You rent a SG server? So you can download and install an up to date SG 1.1 beta5 in one of your server to allow real-world testing by players.

I can provide one. Will take care of that, this afternoon also. Server will be reporting to the masters listed in this thread. I will also publish the ip and port in this thread here. I will also announce the server via Facebook and link to your post.

Joe Kari wrote:You are an experienced coder? So you can help bugfixing the whole thing. If you write a patch for a bugfix, copy-paste a diff (into a "code" tag/BBcode) with all informations (svn revision, etc). Only bugfixes are allowed right now, do not send new features. You can find the sourcecode
here. If you think you can contribute, go here.

This would be a perfect occasion to get me started with the code - i have been meaning to do so since 2 months.

Joe Kari wrote:It is not the time to code extra feature or additionnal content.
SG 1.1 is overdue.

What we need right now is a package that is stable enough.
There are still many bugs, we know that.
Don't expect bugs to be corrected, except CRITICAL one (crash, freeze, unplayability, etc).

Non-critical issue would be fixed later, in another release.
Have in mind that because of the lost of ID Software master server, we have to release as soon as possible.

100% agreement here.

Joe Kari wrote:There is no installer at the moment, I don't know anything about installer. We may eventually provide one for the official release. Right now, you have to unzip it (using winrar, winzip, 7zip, ...) to some place in your hard drive, enter the directory and run smokinguns.exe (windows) or smokinguns.i386 (linux).

I think it is ok to ship it like that. But other people might disagree. A script to check the dependencies would be handy though and help new players.

If you've been bad - Lord I bet you have

And you've not been hit by flying lead

You'd better close your eyes, bow your head

Wait for the ricochet

ricochet
Quick Draw

Postby Biondo » Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:23 pm

I'm not able to download sg_1.1b5a-unofficial.zip from the so-called slow download link. The download starts, but when near its end I get always the same error: "Impossible to read origin file". The so-called fast download link takes 5 hours to download... and I cannot try it now.
Biondo
SG Website Designer

Postby Joe Kari » Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:56 pm

Biondo wrote:I'm not able to download sg_1.1b5a-unofficial.zip from the so-called slow download link. The download starts, but when near its end I get always the same error: "Impossible to read origin file". The so-called fast download link takes 5 hours to download... and I cannot try it now.

Slow download point to my personnal Virtual Private Server, it doesn't have too much bandwidth, I guess that's the reason why you can't download it, if too many people are currently on it.
1fichier.com looks terrible... I don't understand: it takes 50 minutes to upload it, and if I try to download it, the ETA says something like 3:30:00... Faster to upload than to download? O_o
I have tried some other free file hosting website, but I was not able to upload it. If you know a good one, tell me.
Joe Kari
SG Team

Postby Biondo » Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:32 pm

Joe Kari wrote:If you know a good one, tell me.
No, sorry, I don't know of any fast and reliable hosting service. It should have been temporary hosted in *LAME* site, if it would be faster enough and with a higher monthly bandwith limit :(
Biondo
SG Website Designer

Postby ricochet » Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:51 pm

Wait for the ricochet

ricochet
Quick Draw

Postby ricochet » Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:41 pm

Hrm - since there are no 64 Bit executables in the zip, i built one in order to run a 1.1b5 server.

1.1-release branch dedicated crashes on 64-Bit with
Code: Select all
ERROR: opStack corrupted in compiled code (offset 4)
----- Server Shutdown (Server crashed: opStack corrupted in compiled code (offset 4)) -----

The 1.1 branch works fine.

Wait for the ricochet

ricochet
Quick Draw

Next

Return to Release

Show Sidebar
Show Sidebar

User Control Panel