With cordite in the air, splintered steel, shell casings and powder burns, there’s only one explanation...
Everything about Smokin' Guns releases

Moderators: Tequila, torhu

Smokin' Guns 1.1 for Mac

Postby NetBoot » Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:56 am

For those who can't manage to get it installed correctly.

First: Please remove all copies of Smokin' Guns from your Mac. This includes ~/Library/(USERNAME)/Application Support/SmokinGuns

So there's no confusion about it not working.

Double click on the disk image and drag Smoking Guns over to the Application Folder.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/200 ... %20Mac.dmg
_____________________________________________________________________________________

Developers: Here's the correct default.cfg file for Mac.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/200 ... efault.cfg

May have to download as Save as...

Net....
NetBoot
SG Contributor
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:53 pm



Re: Smokin' Guns 1.1 for Mac

Postby /dev/random » Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:59 pm

Nope, that's your autogenerated q3config.cfg. What issues did you have with the default config? If it's missing some crucial setting, we should add just that single line.
User avatar
/dev/random
Smokin' Amigo!
 
Posts: 410
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:58 pm



Re: Smokin' Guns 1.1 for Mac

Postby TheDoctor » Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:08 pm

Thanks for providing a Mac installation. Could you provide additional information such as on which version(s) of Mac OS X this was successfully deployed and whether there are any dependencies?

I myself don't own a Mac, but there have been some related topics in the past:
Now, I'm considering linking your post to these topics to notify previous discussion participants of the availability of a new MAC .dmg file. Any objections?
Image
User avatar
TheDoctor
Smokin' Amigo!
 
Posts: 768
Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2010 3:31 am



Re: Smokin' Guns 1.1 for Mac

Postby NetBoot » Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:34 am

/dev/random wrote:Nope, that's your autogenerated q3config.cfg. What issues did you have with the default config? If it's missing some crucial setting, we should add just that single line.


That is the default config file. Just added what was missing for it to run on Mac.

Take a look at it again. Just add the missing sound options.

Net....

Edited:

Here's a zip version:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/200 ... %20Mac.zip

I didn't change modify or edit the source code. All I did was fix the default.cfg file so I will run on a Mac.

It's seems to be an OpenAL issue. As far as I can debug it to OpenAL signal error 10, which I think is a bus error.

Oh, and it's working because it's using SDL backend for audio...

default.cfg added

seta s_alDevice "restart_sound_alt"

seta s_useOpenAL "1" on or off it still works because of the above setting. But should be off by default. With it on, it logs with errors but still runs.

I think that's the only thing really missing but a added a few other settings.

Net....
Last edited by NetBoot on Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:43 pm, edited 5 times in total.
NetBoot
SG Contributor
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:53 pm



Re: Smokin' Guns 1.1 for Mac

Postby NetBoot » Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:45 am

TheDoctor wrote:Thanks for providing a Mac installation. Could you provide additional information such as on which version(s) of Mac OS X this was successfully deployed and whether there are any dependencies?

I myself don't own a Mac, but there have been some related topics in the past:
Now, I'm considering linking your post to these topics to notify previous discussion participants of the availability of a new MAC .dmg file. Any objections?


I have no objections at all. That's why I posted this thread.

As far as details.

I have it running on PowerMac G5 Dual 2.7Ghz, ATI Radeon X800 XT with 512MB.

Compiled SM-master source with Xcode 3.1.4 on Leopard 10.5.8.

My code is a few kb smaller but for the most part seems to run the same.

So, from the looks of it. The only real difference would be the missing parts of the sound options in the default.cfg file.

thanks,

Net....
Last edited by NetBoot on Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NetBoot
SG Contributor
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:53 pm



Re: Smokin' Guns 1.1 for Mac

Postby NetBoot » Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:23 am

Any chance you can download my dmg and add it to the site?

Maybe update the release page with a Mac Release.

thanks,

Net....

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/200 ... %20Mac.dmg

MD5(Smokin' Guns 1.1 for Mac.dmg)= 963d375746137600bd472837a2c517b3

SHA1(Smokin' Guns 1.1 for Mac.dmg)= 84677f5d2e860cebfca2503f8fcde0c8a4e012cf
NetBoot
SG Contributor
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:53 pm



Re: Smokin' Guns 1.1 for Mac

Postby TheDoctor » Sat Oct 05, 2013 4:42 pm

NetBoot wrote:Any chance you can download my dmg and add it to the site?

If some users confirm this to be a working installation packet, your file could get listed.
Image
User avatar
TheDoctor
Smokin' Amigo!
 
Posts: 768
Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2010 3:31 am



Re: Smokin' Guns 1.1 for Mac

Postby NetBoot » Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:52 am

TheDoctor wrote:
NetBoot wrote:Any chance you can download my dmg and add it to the site?

If some users confirm this to be a working installation packet, your file could get listed.


Hey Doc,

I wanted to ask for your permission first. If I can submit the Smokin' Guns project as an Unofficial release on SourceForge.

I submitted an Unofficial release of Red Eclipse on SourceForge with the Developers permission and I was hoping you would let me do the same.

If you want you can verify it.

http://forum.freegamedev.net/viewtopic.php?f=74&t=4987

http://sourceforge.net/projects/redeclipseunofficial/

I hope to here from you soon on this matter.

Net....
NetBoot
SG Contributor
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:53 pm



Re: Smokin' Guns 1.1 for Mac

Postby /dev/random » Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:58 pm

I don't see a problem with publishing binaries on SF. However I'm not certain whether Doc is in the position to add your downloads to the official SG website.
As long as you don't claim that it's the official Mac binaries, anyone can post binaries anywhere (one of the many benefits of open source licensing) and I'm certain that the SG core members won't mind (assuming the files are free of viruses and such..).

OpenArena has a wiki, where anyone can add more mirrors to the downloads page. Unfortunately their main downloads website does not link to the wiki, but it's a good idea anyways.
User avatar
/dev/random
Smokin' Amigo!
 
Posts: 410
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:58 pm



Re: Smokin' Guns 1.1 for Mac

Postby Barto » Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:32 pm

I'm not using a mac, but I permit myself to pop into this topic :mrgreen:

In my opinion, the best would be to definitely put the file into our download section. I hope Tequila is reading us.

Anyway, it's really cool to give us a nice dmg file NetBoot since none of us actually own a mac. For some future references, could you tell us how you created this dmg file? (software used/installed, list of commands to perform)

Also, do you know if there are some system version's requirements? Which one have you build the game with?
"Chuck Norris had to shorten his beard in the presence of Richard Stallman because two beards that awesome, so close would segfault the universe (again)."
User avatar
Barto
Jeuxlinux Admin
 
Posts: 331
Joined: Fri Oct 23, 2009 5:08 pm
Location: Switzerland



Re: Smokin' Guns 1.1 for Mac

Postby NetBoot » Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:02 pm

/dev/random wrote:I don't see a problem with publishing binaries on SF. However I'm not certain whether Doc is in the position to add your downloads to the official SG website.
As long as you don't claim that it's the official Mac binaries, anyone can post binaries anywhere (one of the many benefits of open source licensing) and I'm certain that the SG core members won't mind (assuming the files are free of viruses and such..).

OpenArena has a wiki, where anyone can add more mirrors to the downloads page. Unfortunately their main downloads website does not link to the wiki, but it's a good idea anyways.


Yeah, I figured I'd ask anyhow. Some get twisted over it.

Net....
NetBoot
SG Contributor
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:53 pm



Re: Smokin' Guns 1.1 for Mac

Postby NetBoot » Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:13 pm

Barto wrote:I'm not using a mac, but I permit myself to pop into this topic :mrgreen:

In my opinion, the best would be to definitely put the file into our download section. I hope Tequila is reading us.

Anyway, it's really cool to give us a nice dmg file NetBoot since none of us actually own a mac. For some future references, could you tell us how you created this dmg file? (software used/installed, list of commands to perform)

Also, do you know if there are some system version's requirements? Which one have you build the game with?


The dmg is basically a disk image. Mac has a utility call, Disk Utility.
I mean, you could do it from a terminal with diskutil. But the GUI is quicker and easier.

If you want to create or open a dmg. There are other apps and utilities to let you mount/create them.

As far as system version's requirements. It was rebuild to run on Mac OS 10.5 - Universal Binary (ppc/i386). It might run on 10.6.

Net....
NetBoot
SG Contributor
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:53 pm



Re: Smokin' Guns 1.1 for Mac

Postby Barto » Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:19 pm

NetBoot wrote:The dmg is basically a disk image. Mac has a utility call, Disk Utility.


And what about how you compiled the game (xcode, commands, make, where did you get them from)? What about dependencies like SDL or OpenAL (mac ports, from website, from source). Imagine that someone else wants to do the same job as what you did, what would he need to do?
"Chuck Norris had to shorten his beard in the presence of Richard Stallman because two beards that awesome, so close would segfault the universe (again)."
User avatar
Barto
Jeuxlinux Admin
 
Posts: 331
Joined: Fri Oct 23, 2009 5:08 pm
Location: Switzerland



Re: Smokin' Guns 1.1 for Mac

Postby NetBoot » Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:01 am

Barto wrote:
NetBoot wrote:The dmg is basically a disk image. Mac has a utility call, Disk Utility.


And what about how you compiled the game (xcode, commands, make, where did you get them from)? What about dependencies like SDL or OpenAL (mac ports, from website, from source). Imagine that someone else wants to do the same job as what you did, what would he need to do?


Not really sure why your asking? Since all the instructions are already here.

I have xcode installed but use gcc to compile it. It's part of the CLI that comes with xcode. I happen to have OpenAL from creative before they shut it down. Plus, Mac already comes with OpenAL. SDL I compiles both standard libraries and Framework Libraries for Mac. Plus, of course all the source code.

My first SDL program I compiled was Classic Invaders. To get the hang of things.

Other than that, both my compile and the one here work. It's a code problem with SM and OpenAL. But, there's a backend call in SDL to use audio. As I explained before with the missing setting in the default config file.

Hope this answers you questions.

I've been busy with RE project. Sorry for being short about the SM subject.

Net....

Edited:

Oh, and of course I also compiled OpenArena which is pretty close to SM.
NetBoot
SG Contributor
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:53 pm



Re: Smokin' Guns 1.1 for Mac

Postby NetBoot » Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:45 pm

Hello all,

Here's where you can get SM for Mac

http://sourceforge.net/projects/smokingunsunofficial/

This is what the user will see when it's mounted.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/200 ... re%202.png

I would hope to see a link for it on the download page,

Yah'al have fun now.

Net....
Last edited by NetBoot on Sat Oct 26, 2013 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
NetBoot
SG Contributor
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:53 pm



Next

Return to Release

Show Sidebar
Show Sidebar

User Control Panel