With cordite in the air, splintered steel, shell casings and powder burns, there’s only one explanation...
Old WQ3 forum - archived. Links may not work.

fix for mac hitfile loading is here

Postby torhu » Sun May 29, 2005 9:46 pm

Here's a patch that might fix the 'no valid hitfile' error on mac. This only applies to servers or single player mode, not when playing online.

http://folk.uio.no/torhu/wq3/macfix.zip

You only need the wq3_pak2.pk3 file. The other files are for anyone interested in what I've done to the source code.

It contains a version of qagame.qvm that has endianness conversion added to the hitfile loading. I don't have a mac to test on, so I have no idea if it works, but the file works fine on windows. And it only fixes hitfile loading, since I don't know what else might need fixing. :?

Please try this file and post any error messages here. To verify that you are actually using this file, load a map and type 'gamedate' in the console. It should say May 29 2005. and wq3_version should say 'b2.00'.
In game: =SG=monSter
Monster Browser
torhu
SG Team

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Wed Jun 01, 2005 1:02 am

I added the pk3 file to my server and tried to connect from my gaming pc. It tried to autodownload the file but couldn't because I have that feature disabled on the server. You say this file is only serverside or singleplayer, but the client files must match the servers' when it is a "pure" server for online play.
I can't think of a way around this, unless we were to make all servers "unpure" which opens the door for hackers. We need a mac player to test this file and make sure it works before other users are forced to download something that is useless to them if they can already play. :?
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Postby torhu » Thu Jun 02, 2005 12:53 am

Red, what happened when you tried to join the server? Please post or email me the error message if you got one, as quickly as you can be bothered to do so.

If I'm not mistaken, the server should only verify that the files on the client exist on and are equal to what the server has itself. If the client has other, newer(*) files, like if you have the wq3_torhu.pk3 file installed, it will be ignored. I'm not really sure if it compares the pk3 files, or the contents of them, but that doesn't matter in this case. The client will load ui.qvm and cgame.qvm from the file that equals the server's file. Probably the newest(*) file that is 'pure'.

The client does not load the qagame.qvm file, only the server does that. So what that file looks like, shouldn't matter. I tested today by removing wq3_pak1.pk3 from my westernq3 dir and then playing on a couple of the servers, which were pure. If you run a server and type game date in the console, it says 'Mar 07 2003'. If you remove wq3_pak1.pk3 first, it says 'Mar 06 2003', meaning two different qagame files are being used. In other words, I was playing on pure servers without have the qagame file that the servers most likely were using.

Executive summary about sv_pure = 1: :mrgreen:
  1. The clients can load only pk3 files that the server has too, and they have to match.
  2. The client has to have (and use) ui and cgame qvms that match the newest(*) ones that the server has.
  3. The server itself can use whichever qagame file it wants to. It does not care what the client's qagame looks like.
So if you were to put my macfix.pk3 file on the server but not the client, it would fit all three requirements, it doesnt' conflict with requirement 2, because it contains only qagame. But if you did that with the wq3_torhu.pk3 file, it wouldn't work. Because that file contains ui and cgame files that the client does not have, it would break requirement 2. If you put both files on a server the same would happen, because wq3_torhu.pk3 is newer(*) and overrides the other file.

Ok, this was mostly to get it straight in my own head, I guess. And I'm not quite sure of all the details yet. So much to know, so little doumentation. I just hope we can sort this out, otherwise we can't do much without making a new complete release, which isn't likely to happen soon. :|

But I hope someone with a mac shows up anyway. Would be cool to at least get mac single player working. Anyway, I'm anxious to hear from you what really happened!!!

(*) = the pk3 files are prioritized in alphabetical order, last ('newest') one wins.
Monster Browser
torhu
SG Team

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Thu Jun 02, 2005 1:22 am

I placed the wq3_pak2.pk3 on the server but not on my client pc. I have not installed wq3_torhu.pk3 on either machine. Autodownloading is disabled on the server but enabled on the client. When I try to connect, the client attempts to download the wq3_pak2.pk3 and (naturally) I am getting the error "Download attempt failed because downloading is disabled on the server." Maybe I'm not getting the big picture here. I will continue this with you on xfire.
Last edited by ReD NeCKersoN on Wed Jul 13, 2005 1:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Postby torhu » Fri Jun 03, 2005 12:31 am

Hi, Red.

I got a reply from a guy on the planetquake forums saying that this should indeed work. So I guess we only need to figure out what we're doing wrong. It's strange if turning off downloading on the client, or on the server with sv_allowdownload = 0 prevents you from connecting at all. Maybe turn downloading on on the server and see what happens.

Here's my post on the other forum:
http://www.forumplanet.com/planetquake/topic.asp?fid=2259&tid=1664401
Monster Browser
torhu
SG Team

Postby torhu » Tue Jul 12, 2005 5:09 pm

We've had reports from one guy, saying that the hitfile loading works on macs now. But we should still test to see if the hit locations seem to be correct. This is done by just shooting at someone from very close range, and seeing if the hit messages are correct.

The locations to try are:
head
neck
shoulder left/right
arm left/right
hand left/right
chest
stomach
groin
leg left/right
foot left/right

From behind, stomach and chest is replaced by back, and groin by ass. Otherwise it's the same. Even if it doesn't say which side you're hit on (left/right), both sides should be tested.

It's probably a good idea to use the commands /devmap, /give ammo, and /god if someone wants to test this. If hitmessages don't work in god mode, use /give health instead to avoid dying all the time. Or /give all.
Monster Browser
torhu
SG Team

Postby Spoon » Wed Jul 13, 2005 12:54 am

I think I once added a command to turn off the ai of the bots. torhu perhaps you can find it. Something like "bot_aidisable" or something like that. When its enabled bots will just stay around and do nothing. That should make testing more easier.
Spoon
Iron Claw

Postby torhu » Wed Jul 13, 2005 3:05 am

Hello! It's nice to see that you are watching over us, O maker of this great mod! :D

I'm guessing you are talking about the bot_pause cvar, which is a standard q3 cvar to do make the bots freeze. Couldn't find anything else, but thanks for pointing it out. It makes it alot easier. Now, if only I had a mac...

Maybe you have some tips that could help us with some other bugs too? I guess you are busy with you new project, so I'm trying to manage on my own as much as I can. Maybe if I'm really stuck, I'll bug you about it. I didn't know the q3 source from before, so it's quite a bit to learn for each little change I make, many hours of reading and testing. Feel free to post comments, suggestions, or just point out problems in my code changes if you like. You probably already know where the patches and diffs are to be found. So thanks for letting us have our way with the mod. :mrgreen:

Ok, on to what this thread was supposed to be all about. With this new knowledge, a mac hitfile testing session with bots would look like this:
  1. /devmap wq_tillian
  2. /god
  3. /addbot clint (until there's no more room)
  4. /bind p "toggle bot_pause"
  5. find some bots
  6. press P to freeze the bots
  7. walk up to a bot and fire at the body part you are testing
  8. if no more bots around, unfreeze them and find more by listening for them
When trying this out, I was able to shoot through the arm of one of the bots several times at close range (on a pc), without it registering as a hit. And with another bot, I couldn't get a registered hit to it's right foot. So things like that happen, just try again and see if it works the next time. It may depend on their stance, etc.
torhu
SG Team

Postby aquarius » Sat Jul 23, 2005 1:43 pm

Hello.
Well I'm the guy who first reported this bug. I'll try the patch right away.

btw I'm pretty surprised that there are still people playing this mod. Congratulations to everybody who achieved this.

Aqua
aquarius
Shootist

Postby aquarius » Sat Jul 23, 2005 2:01 pm

Loading works great, but the bots suck. They don't move, only when I'm near them.

torhu wrote:Ok, on to what this thread was supposed to be all about. With this new knowledge, a mac hitfile testing session with bots would look like this:
  1. /devmap wq_tillian
  2. /god
  3. /addbot clint (until there's no more room)
  4. /bind p "toggle bot_pause"
  5. find some bots
  6. press P to freeze the bots
  7. walk up to a bot and fire at the body part you are testing
  8. if no more bots around, unfreeze them and find more by listening for them

I followed this steps and when adding bots my console fills with "^1Error: weapon number out of range" messages.

Aqua
aquarius
Shootist

Postby sig11 » Sat Jul 23, 2005 2:04 pm

Welcome back ! Did you notice the calendar at the top ;-) ?
In-game name: =SG= Django (yes, it's cliché :-) )
sig11
SG Team

Postby sig11 » Sat Jul 23, 2005 2:09 pm

You are using the pk3-file posted at the beginning of this thread ? That is pretty old. Send RedNeckerson a PM so that you can get the latest patch. There are also fixes for the bots.
Alternatively, make sure you are using Deathmatch only. You probably start in TeamRoundplay or the like. Or, simply, try to reproduce the old bug (wasn't it something like starting a server ?)
In-game name: =SG= Django (yes, it's cliché :-) )
sig11
SG Team

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Sat Jul 23, 2005 2:45 pm

I remember Aquarius well! :D There is no need for him to pm me. I'll give him access to the tester forum right away. In fact, I did this for all of the regular forum posters who are active here.
Just overwrite the macfix with the beta patch. Great to see you again! 8)
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Postby torhu » Sun Jul 24, 2005 12:02 am

aquarius wrote:I followed this steps and when adding bots my console fills with "^1Error: weapon number out of range" messages.
Aqua

This would be because you start in team roundplay mode, otherwise something is wrong. Just type /set g_gametype 0 before you load the map, or select deathmatch in the map menu. Or use testpatch 10, which shouldn't have this problem normally.

And thanks for helping us testing this. Not too many mac players around. :)
Monster Browser
torhu
SG Team

Postby aquarius » Tue Jul 26, 2005 6:26 pm

thank you for the warm welcome :-)

yes I started a team based game, so this seems to be the reason for my problem. I'll try to apply the new patch this evening and will post a report in the appropriate thread.
aquarius
Shootist

Next

Return to Bug Report

Show Sidebar
Show Sidebar

User Control Panel