With cordite in the air, splintered steel, shell casings and powder burns, there’s only one explanation...
Old WQ3 forum - archived. Links may not work.

Hi, how can I add new player models to WQ3?

Postby matt2003 » Mon Dec 08, 2003 9:33 am

I have been working on some nice player models for WQ3 and was wondering if you guys knew if there was a way I could add new player models into western quake 3. I would really, really appreciate your help. thank you.
matt2003
Newcomer

Postby Lixus » Mon Dec 08, 2003 11:21 pm

hm i guess, the easiest way would be to replace the old models.. making new ones could be a little tricky, because our wq3 models are built a bit different in their structure, as far as i know.... but i'm no modeller.. :?
=Lixus=
Lixus
Iron Claw

Postby EvilFutsin » Wed Dec 10, 2003 11:22 am

The catch with new player models would be that the server, as well as the client, would require the .pk3 files with them included.

As for doing the whole getting them into the game factor, just use something like pakscape or winrar or winzip to open up the player models .pk3 (pak0 or pak1, I forget which), then unpackage the animation.cfg file, animate the model based on that file, and blah blah blah. If ya don't know how to get a model into Q3, go check by Polycount, that'll get you set for it. ;)

Mostly, as for learning how to get it implemented, my suggestion would be to do what Lixus said and replace the old ones, given that most of the time the br mode is in effect, and in that mode you have to choose from the original set of player models.

Hopefully these new models of yours turn out nicely, since if I ever do anything in Western Q3 (movie-wise) ever again, I'd like new models! :D

(note: if message seemed weird and irrational - I got a flu, so my brain isn't functioning 100%)
EvilFutsin
SG Team

Thanks. :) How do I change the model limit?

Postby matt2003 » Sat Dec 13, 2003 11:20 am

thanks for replying guys... I didnt really phrase my question properly earlier I ment to say how do I change the limit of the "default" 4 models in western quake 3 mod, and or enable "non standard WQ3 models". Anyhow, thanks guys... I dont know if theres some sort of script I have to change, I'm not a scriptor, but any help would be appreciated.
matt2003
Newcomer

Postby Lixus » Sat Dec 13, 2003 5:36 pm

hm.... then i have no idea how to do this ;)
=Lixus=
Lixus
Iron Claw

If you want more accurate player models...

Postby matt2003 » Sat Dec 13, 2003 10:36 pm

It would be very nice to get me help from someone who knows how and why there is a model limit in Western Quake 3, to me it seems very odd to have a scroll bar in the model selection but not be able to add new models, for which to scroll to. I've already reworked a player model and I don't want my efforts to be in vain, so I would like to see it perform on its own without having to tape over an old model. I will remake every player model that is currently available plus many more! the resemblence of my models to their respective characters is stunningly accurate, (and without having too many polys of course). I currently have three player models in the works(with amazing skins done by my brother, a digital artist, of course) so like this could be happy happy joy joy for everyone if I get some help here.
matt2003
Newcomer

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Wed Dec 24, 2003 4:23 pm

Spoon is the one who could help you. Unfortunately, no one knows where he is any more. :(
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Return to Editor's Forum

Show Sidebar
Show Sidebar

User Control Panel