With cordite in the air, splintered steel, shell casings and powder burns, there’s only one explanation...
Old WQ3 forum - archived. Links may not work.

Port for Nexuiz

Postby lizzyman92 » Mon Jul 11, 2005 4:45 am

Hi as you can see I'm new here. I love ur mod and I wanted it for Nexuiz. If you check it out Nexuiz uses Quake 3 maps using the Darkplaces engine, a heavy reconstruction of Quake 1. The scripting language is QuakeC. Plz if someone can port atleast the weapons plz gimme a email.
lizzyman92
Newcomer

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Mon Jul 11, 2005 4:51 am

Nexuiz is built on the power of the Darkplaces engine, which is a heavily modified version of the original Quake. Darkplaces features realtime lighting and stencil shadows, bumpmapping, gloss, bloom, and totally rewritten network code that supports up to 64 players on a single server. While quality gameplay was our primary goal, it's graphics technology and artwork allows the game to compete with the current quality of commercial games.

Interesting. I'll have to download this when I get a chance and try it out. Personally, I don't have the knowledge you seek. The mod is opensourced though.
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Postby dolny » Mon Jul 11, 2005 12:08 pm

Yeah I saw the engine earlier, saw Nexuiz and Transfusion for example. Thought about porting it completely to Quake2 and adding a lot of effects that are possible now: physics, Q3 maps and great looking water for example. Too much hassle. That's an inferior engine after all.

But: thanks for reading my post there and visiting our forums. Maybe you'll like the game and stick with us more ;)
Proud member of the HorseLovers clan.

Red Neckerson wrote:Oh and don't let dolny annoy you...he's a fanatic!
dolny
Gunslinger

Postby lizzyman92 » Tue Jul 12, 2005 1:21 am

Oh I love the mod, its just ud get more people with a freeware game. Not many people are gonna go out today to buy Quake 3 when its like 4 years old and u can get a freeware knockoff thats better. And really dolny, have u tried Nexuiz? I've got Nexuiz and Quake 3 + mods and u cant tell the difference. But what code is Quake 3 written in? QuakeC still or did it change. And what are the major differences in the engines? Darkplaces is the engine run on Nexuiz so google it.

EDIT: Forgot to mention too it has 64 player support and four teams: green, yellow, red, blue. So you can have a fullon shootout which is what I wanted so bad. I found out bout this mod when someone on Nexuiz forums told me bout it cause i asked for a western nex mod.
lizzyman92
Newcomer

Postby torhu » Tue Jul 12, 2005 2:23 am

I think Quake 3 is from 1998. The source code available for modders is in C89 (plus double slash comments). It's compiled to three dll files for debugging, or to three bytcode (.qvm) files that the executable interprets, for distribution. A modified version of the free lcc compiler is used to make the bytcode. I don't know exactly how the engine differs from q1 or q2.

I'm hoping that by the end of this year, the q3 engine source will have been released, so we can released the mod as a standalone game. All we need is to package the executable in our download, and we're set to go. Or at least I hope there will be no complications, like the engine isn't released completely, it's not fully compatible, or something of that sort. Does anyone know how smooth this was when the two previous games were released? And I hope there are no q3 textures in the maps...

And I'm downloading Nexiuz now. Does ASE support it? Is it compatible with q1, q2, or q3, so a custom filter can be made?
In game: =SG=monSter
Monster Browser
torhu
SG Team

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Tue Jul 12, 2005 4:04 pm

torhu wrote:I'm hoping that by the end of this year, the q3 engine source will have been released, so we can released the mod as a standalone game.

I don't know why this never occurred to me. Great idea! 8O
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Postby dolny » Tue Jul 12, 2005 4:33 pm

We wrote about it several times... I even emailed you about it... o_O
Proud member of the HorseLovers clan.

Red Neckerson wrote:Oh and don't let dolny annoy you...he's a fanatic!
dolny
Gunslinger

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Tue Jul 12, 2005 4:58 pm

dolny wrote:We wrote about it several times... I even emailed you about it... o_O

I have a terrible memory these days! :oops: There is just so much happening in my life right now that my head is spinning. 8O
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Postby torhu » Thu Jul 14, 2005 8:42 pm

I tried Nexuiz. I set it to 800x600x16, all effects off, but it's still choppy when I play on a server with ping about 90. And i get 97 fps in the standard q3 max quality 1024x768 benchmark. Mabye it's just me doing something wrong. And it's got some way to go before it can compete with q3 in terms of looks...
In game: =SG=monSter
Monster Browser
torhu
SG Team

Return to Editor's Forum

Show Sidebar
Show Sidebar

User Control Panel