With cordite in the air, splintered steel, shell casings and powder burns, there’s only one explanation...
Old WQ3 forum - archived. Links may not work.

Coyote Bluff - map in progress

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Wed Jul 27, 2005 1:12 am

I also wanted to share my latest mapping project with the community. :D
This started out as a test map for learning some rock making techniques and I liked the feel of the map enough to keep working on it. A few of you have seen an earlier version of it and seemed to like it so far. I wanted something different than the "tried and true" western town theme and thought it might be fun to have a shootout in the country. There will be no buildings in this map. Your only cover will be rocks, ledges and plants. There is a deep canyon seperating the two sides of the map which will have some way of getting across, but I haven't decided if it will be a ledge, bridge or fallen tree or something. Falling into the canyon results in death. Some great sounds add a lot of atmosphere to the level.
Here are a few screenshots where I am testing two different skies. You will notice that the cliffs and terrain are "blocky" looking. I plan to try terrain blending and phong shading to improve the look.

Image Image Image Image

Image Image Image Image

Keep in mind this map is in it's early stages. More cover will be added and I hope to put in some caves and tunnels. Custom music might be incorporated into the level but I have yet to decide.
Last edited by ReD NeCKersoN on Fri May 05, 2006 2:12 am, edited 3 times in total.
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Postby Lixus » Mon Aug 01, 2005 3:43 pm

nice map, i think it would look even better if the canyon would be much longer: the canyon should not just end in a high rock wall; you should not even see the end. understand what i mean? let's try some ascii art: :roll:

Code: Select all
    /  /             <----Bend in the Canyon so you can't see it's end
   /  /
   | |                <----Canyon
   | |
___| |___
|       |
|       |            <----Playable Area
|__   __|
   | |
   | |
  /  /                <----Canyon
 /  /                <----Bend in the Canyon so you can't see it's end

=Lixus=
Lixus
Iron Claw

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Mon Aug 01, 2005 8:45 pm

I plan to add some caves and tunnels to help alleviate the enclosed feeling. I will definately keep your idea in mind though. It could definately improve the look of the "pit". Thank you for the suggestion. :)
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Postby aquarius » Sat Aug 06, 2005 3:58 pm

I really like the look of this map. Especially the warm orange light. We definitely need some new settings and you are going in the right direction. I'd also like too see some wigwams and stuff like this on the map.
aquarius
Shootist

Postby aquarius » Sat Aug 06, 2005 4:02 pm

@Lixus: I'm currently not up to date, but didn't you promise to continue work on your steamboat map? Must have bin a year ago or so. Any change we will see this map. Would be a great setting IMHO. :-)
aquarius
Shootist

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Mon Aug 08, 2005 5:27 am

aquarius wrote:I really like the look of this map. Especially the warm orange light. We definitely need some new settings and you are going in the right direction. I'd also like too see some wigwams and stuff like this on the map.

Thank you. It was definately my intention to try somehing different. I'm not sure about adding wigwams or teepees though. I'll have to think about that as I didn't plan to include an indian style theme. I should also mention that I start a new job tomorrow so i may fall behind in my efforts for this map. I will try to keep chipping away at it. :)
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Fri Sep 16, 2005 2:03 am

Sorry for no updates lately. :oops: I was determined to implement Lixus' idea but my brushwork made it impossible to line everything up. I have since learned what I was doing wrong so I basically started over. Well, I deleted 70% of the original and went from there. I'm finally making some progress here and the map is looking better than the screenshots above. (Phong shading is great!) I have also had some ideas pop into my head so there will be a few buildings to add afterall. I'll post new screenshots when I have something worthy.
@ aquarius: I have another project in mind for an Indian theme. Someday you'll see.
Last edited by ReD NeCKersoN on Fri May 05, 2006 2:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Postby Clink Eastward » Fri Oct 07, 2005 2:53 am

Very nice, looking forward to it ;)
Clink Eastward
Shootist

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Fri Oct 07, 2005 3:31 am

The progress is very slow these days, what with my new job and all. I'm down to working on this map only a very few hours per week now. :? It's mostly terrain at this point so there isn't much to look at other than the basic layout. I'll try to post some new screenies when I get just a little further along.
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Postby BITE_ME!! » Fri Oct 07, 2005 2:05 pm

We will keep an eye out for it...let us know when it is ready to beta... 8O
BITE_ME!!
Pistolero

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Fri Oct 14, 2005 5:56 am

Progress is painfully slow as I am constantly having to learn new techniques in order to get the results I want. (Not to mention the way real life is interfering with my time.) The map is still somewhere around 50% completed by my estimation. I am getting good feedback from the few who have seen it and my pain should be worth it in the end. :) Here's a couple of screens from one section of the level. I do not wish to show an overhead shot until there is more to see. Anyway, the phong shading is nice and Lixus' idea (see above) was worth the frustration. After seeing texture blending in another wq3 map in progress, I am determined to learn that technique as well. The skybox you will see in these pics is only temporary and I plan to test several skyboxes, or make my own, before everything is ready. I'll post more screens when significant progress has been made. Keep in mind that what you see here today is far from being finished. :wink:

Image Image
Last edited by ReD NeCKersoN on Fri May 05, 2006 2:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Postby BITE_ME!! » Fri Oct 14, 2005 6:06 pm

Cool pics Red....cant wait to see more..
BITE_ME!!
Pistolero

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Thu Jan 19, 2006 5:25 am

Boy is this map taking a long time. :oops: Most of the terrain is done now. I would say the map is around 75% to 80% complete at this point. The level is lacking a lot of decorations at the moment but more cover and finishing touches will follow in the coming weeks. The only big problem I have right now is an fps "chop" when bots are loaded. I know what is wrong but some significant design changes need to be made to correct it. Not sure if it's worth it at this point....time will tell. Other than that, it looks nice and plays well without bots. I hope to have a beta test version ready in February for anyone who will help me test it.

Image Image Image

Image Image Image
Last edited by ReD NeCKersoN on Thu Jan 19, 2006 5:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

chico

Postby =Chico= » Thu Jan 19, 2006 5:29 am

you know Chico will help - I have enjoyed playing on this map already
=Chico=
Smokin' Amigo!

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Mon Feb 20, 2006 7:48 am

Reviving HighNoon2 pushed this project back a bit, so a February beta looks doubtful. However, I made some good progress on the upper level this weekend. :) Bot problems will wait until later.

Image Image Image

Image Image
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Next

Return to Editor's Forum

Show Sidebar
Show Sidebar

User Control Panel