With cordite in the air, splintered steel, shell casings and powder burns, there’s only one explanation...
Old WQ3 forum - archived. Links may not work.

GtkRadiant 1.5beta

Postby Breli » Mon Sep 05, 2005 9:59 am

Hi fellas,

I tried to configure version 1.5beta since I was curious about the changes made in this version. Since others are probably interested in this version, too, I would like to write about some things and particularly my failure to achieve the goal. Hopefully, this will save you trouble and time ;):

The setup is different from the prior versions. Extracting textures works like usual. The main problem are the entities. I wasn't able to include WQ entites in Radiant. More precisely, some showed up while others did not. Probably, the some entity definitions are screwed and 1.5 is more fussy about this than 1.4. Or 1.5 loads them in a different order. There are some xml-config files where new "games" can be specified (including shaderlists, entities, etc.). Messing around with these didn't help either. 1.5 is supposed to load custom entites automatically if the game/mod is properly specified. However, it doesn't recognize WQ as a "game". ATM version 1.5 does not come with plugins (no brush cleanup, no gtkgensurf, no nothing). Additionally, you should be prepared to press "CTRL + S" quickly and often. It stands for "Stability" ;)

The botton line is this: if you're as new to mapping as I am go for the 1.4 version. If you're much smarter than me or really like to configure stuff, go ahead and let us know ... :D

I didn't bother to search the net for tutorials and other help, so there may be simple solutions I am not aware of. However, 1.4 does the job. You won't miss the "Create my WQ map NOW!"-button or some other fancy stuff.

cheers

breli
Breli
SG Team

Postby Joe Kari » Sun Jul 13, 2008 12:02 am

Everyone is still using Radiant 1.4 there ?
I'm tired of all the bug it has so I will try the 1.5 now, and hope it will run fine (and 1.5 exist under linux, so if it works well, I would be able to map under my favorite OS, yeeeeehaaaaaa !!!).
Joe Kari
SG Team

Postby L3th4l » Sun Jul 13, 2008 1:08 am

I use 1.4. I don't like 1.5 at all, it's garbage and very unstable..
L3th4l
Smokin' Amigo!

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Sun Jul 13, 2008 2:06 am

WoP uses 1.5 I believe, but the one time I tried it for wq3 it kept crashing on me very often. I've used 1.4 ever since.
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Postby Joe Kari » Sun Jul 13, 2008 1:16 pm

I read that they have corrected many bug in 1.5, but in fact, I have tested it 10 minutes and... it has crashed :S
However, when you move a brush, its texture coordinate don't follow the movement, so you have to replace the texture again everytime you move the brush... I don't understand new version with less feature...
I will do more test another day...
Joe Kari
SG Team

Postby Shadoku » Tue Dec 23, 2008 6:36 am

Just a quick note, the ZeroRadiant branch (1.6 beta) works wonderfully, its much more stable than 1.4 but it dosen't have all the usability issues that 1.5 had. Only real caveat is that as beta software it can be a pain to get running.

You can grab the binaries here: http://zerowing.idsoftware.com/files/ra ... per/1.6.1/
Shadoku
Pistolero

Return to Editor's Forum

Show Sidebar
Show Sidebar

User Control Panel