With cordite in the air, splintered steel, shell casings and powder burns, there’s only one explanation...
Old WQ3 forum - archived. Links may not work.

Textures and Shaders again

Postby Breli » Mon Dec 05, 2005 11:14 pm

Hi,

Phong shading and footsteps: I noticed that a phong shader applied to a ground textures (e.g. sand_something) changes the footstep sound from sand back to the default rock footstep sound. I know there is a surfaceparm metalsteps. Is there one for sandsteps, too? I wasn't able to find something like that in the stock shaders or the tuts.

Textures: I want to make a new skybox for my map and found some tools that create the corresponding jpg-files from a given input. Has anybody an idea where I can find some nice panorama pics that fit the western theme? I searched a bit but, somehow, wasn't able to find something suitable (only skyscrapers and stuff ;))

cheers

breli
Breli
SG Team

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Tue Dec 13, 2005 7:05 am

I know there is a surfaceparm metalsteps. Is there one for sandsteps, too?

Was hoping someone could help you but I decided to respond with what you already suspect. I think metalsteps is the only one. Can't help you with the skybox thing either really. Although, there are some nice ones at various sites. Check the links section. It's how I found mine. :)
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Re: Textures and Shaders again

Postby Breli » Tue Dec 13, 2005 9:13 am

breli wrote:Hi,
Textures: I want to make a new skybox for my map and found some tools that create the corresponding jpg-files from a given input. Has anybody an idea where I can find some nice panorama pics that fit the western theme? I searched a bit but, somehow, wasn't able to find something suitable (only skyscrapers and stuff ;))

Concerning this question I might help: terragen (http://www.planetside.co.uk/terragen/). Looks suited for the job.

Didn't I tell my other self to stop posting here?

Cheers

Breli
Breli
SG Team

Postby Breli » Tue Dec 13, 2005 9:20 am

ReD NeCKersoN wrote:Was hoping someone could help you but I decided to respond with what you already suspect. I think metalsteps is the only one.

well thats a problem. It feels weird if the footstep sound suddenly changes for no apparent reason. I don't know how they changed the sound for the sand/grass textures in the first place and how the particles can be customized (they are different on grass and I don't know why). Strange.

breli
Breli
SG Team

Postby Spoon » Tue Dec 13, 2005 6:04 pm

Heyho,
the q3map.exe of wq3 normally should assign the surfaceparameters, such as grass, sand, etc. by looking at the texture names, itself. So if the filename of a texture begins with "sand_" ("grass_"), it is given the sand surfaceparm. Perhaps that wasn't payed attention to, when modifying q3map2.exe.
Spoon
Iron Claw

Postby Breli » Tue Dec 13, 2005 8:29 pm

Huaaa! The maker himself! Good to see you keeping an eye on our humble work again, Spoon ;)!

I quickly checked it: the surfaceparm assignment still works with q3map2. We have to name the phong shaders grass_something if we want to have correct surfaceparms. I just wasn't aware about the naming convention! Very good to know how this system works. AFAIK we have the following classes then:

wood_
water_
stone_ (default)
sand_
metal_
grass_
glass_
dirt_
cloth_

the underscore MUST be used. Otherwise the compiler doesn't recognize the texture class. I don't know whether all classes have a different set of properties, but anyway.

Thanks Spoon!

cheers

breli
Breli
SG Team

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Wed Dec 14, 2005 1:49 am

Ah! Great info indeed. Many thanks Spoon and Breli. 8)
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Return to Editor's Forum

Show Sidebar
Show Sidebar

User Control Panel