With cordite in the air, splintered steel, shell casings and powder burns, there’s only one explanation...
Old WQ3 forum - archived. Links may not work.

Some info on WQ's usage of spawnpoints

Postby Breli » Tue Feb 14, 2006 2:37 pm

ReD NeCKersoN wrote:The spawnpoints are bothering me, and others, as well ...

We discussed the weird spawning of WQ somewhere else, but I can't find die appropriate thread ATM. Since the placement of spawnpoints is somewhat important I figured it might be nice to have some information on this: I collected some stuff from the code (no guarantee that I got this right). This stuff only applies to DM and TDM games, oc course:

Spawnpoint flags:
- the "initial" flag tells the engine to use this spot if a players enters the game and spawns for the first time
- nobots tells the engine that ... well you know ;)
- nohumans ...

I am not sure whether these have to be used like "nobots 1" as a key-value pair. This still needs some testing.

How does WQ determine a spawnpoint?
- All "telefragging" spawnpoints are ignored. That is, spawnpoints that are currently occupied (unless there are two few of them ...).
- The original SelectSpawnpoint function has been replaced by two custom functions (needed for Duels etc.). One simply selects a random non-telefragging spawnpoint (this one is apparently not used). The other one selects a spawnpoint that is furthest away from something else (don't know whether it uses the actual positions of players or other entities). If it's supposed to check the distance to the positions of other players, there must be a bug. My personal game experience tells me that that function doesn't work correctly ;)

Anyway, the "furthestawayselection" logically favours spots that are located in border areas of a map. I observerd something similar while testing rivertown. Spawnpoints close to the center of the map are rarely used. Somebody told me, that he has made similar observations.

Breli
Breli
SG Team

Postby torhu » Sun Mar 12, 2006 8:45 am

The highest priority spawnpoints are the ones furthest away from where you last died. Where the other players are, is not taken into consideration. So there's nothing stopping you from spawning right next to someone. This is the way it works in vanilla q3 too. At least in FFA.

I know this because I'm working on improvements. ;)
In game: =SG=monSter
Monster Browser
torhu
SG Team

Postby Hellrider » Tue Mar 28, 2006 7:45 pm

I hope you'll find a solution torhu...good luck 8)
Hellrider
Gunslinger

Return to Editor's Forum

Show Sidebar
Show Sidebar

User Control Panel