With cordite in the air, splintered steel, shell casings and powder burns, there’s only one explanation...
Old WQ3 forum - archived. Links may not work.

errors: swquake3.dbl & MSVCRTD.dll

Postby Pardner » Sat Jul 01, 2006 9:50 pm

Im trying to compile my map with the q3map2.exe that game came with wq3, but im getting no-where. I'm following the tutorial from the main page. I downloaded q3maptoolz and tried to run that: this is where i get my first error...

after I set-up the config and click close or q3maptoolz i get
Code: Select all
swquake3.dbl contains an unsolved error...

there was a bunch of other "xx.dbl" and they all have different errors. when q3maptoolz loads, following the tutorial, the dos page opens and closes, but no .bsp.

my map compiles find from gtkradiant (-ladders, breakables, and doors) so i thought i would try using Q3Build for GTK. I've used this program to compile VQ3 maps before. So i changed the path for the q3map2.exe to the wq3's q3map2.exe and hit compile. this was the error that i got...
I can compile my map using both q3maptoolz and q3build if I set the path to gtk's q3map2.exe. Is there something im doing wrong? I know I didnt give much info, but I didnt know how much you needed. Here is the address of the stuff I have installed.

C:/Games/Q3_Mapping/quake3.exe
C:/Games/Q3_Mapping/westernq3/dev_tools/q3map2.exe
C:/Games/Q3_Mapping/GTKRadiant-1.4/q3map2.exe
C:/Games/Q3_Mapping/Q3maptoolz
C:/Games/Q3_Mapping/Q3Build
C:/Games/Q3_Mapping/baseq3/maps/wq_test

oh and if you want screens check out my humble "WWW" on my profile
Last edited by Pardner on Sun Jul 02, 2006 2:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pardner
SG Team

Postby torhu » Sat Jul 01, 2006 10:19 pm

Put this file in your Windows\System32 dir:
http://folk.uio.no/torhu/wq3/MSVCRTD.DLL

I made an optimized build of q3map2 for wq3 a while back, which I hope that Red can put on the public ftp for people to download. That version doesn't need the above file to work. ;)
In game: =SG=monSter
Monster Browser
torhu
SG Team

Postby Pardner » Sun Jul 02, 2006 2:04 am

YEEEEHAAAA!!!
thanks torhu, it worked!
Pardner
SG Team

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Sun Jul 02, 2006 2:53 am

Latest q3map2 for wq3. There seems to be noticeably improved compile times for some users & it works fine with front end loaders.

Just had a look at your website Pardner. Good looking stuff! I'm going to download your vanilla q3 map and have a go tonight. 8) Nice to see someone attempting a map for wq3 again. That doesn't happen very often. After I finish my map, one of the things on my "to do" list is to update the tutorials.

EDIT: I ran through your BOCctf map tonight. Not bad! I'm delighted to see you try your hand at wq3 mapping. Don't hesitate to ask if you have any more questions. We'll help you as best we can. :)
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Postby hika » Sun Jul 02, 2006 11:31 am

ReD NeCKersoN wrote:Just had a look at your website Pardner. Good looking stuff!

Same for me. I saw your wq_NoNameCity map, Pardner, and it looks great ! I'm looking forward to it.

Perhaps, I will try doing some mapping stuff too, but I still don't know if I will have enough skills and guts :|
First, I will "play" with GTKRadiant, as a FreeBSD version exists, and read some tutorials.
SG name: Manchot
SG fansite: http://western.bsdmon.com
userbar originally created by Caffeine
hika
SG Team

Postby Pardner » Sun Jul 02, 2006 3:17 pm

Thanks guys. BOCctf was my third "playable" map. my other two had gameplay issues. wq_NoNameCity will be my first map for a mod, and so far its comming along pretty good (now that it compiles)

One more question: what key/value determines how much damage is required to break a breakable? There are some things that I want dynamite only.

EDIT:
Perhaps, I will try doing some mapping stuff too, but I still don't know if I will have enough skills and guts
First, I will "play" with GTKRadiant, as a FreeBSD version exists, and read some tutorials.

mapping isnt very hard; its just very hard to do good mapping. (as I'm finding out)
Bubba has the best tutorial for vq3.
Pardner
SG Team

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Sun Jul 02, 2006 3:59 pm

Select the item you want to be breakable and hit the "N" key on your keyboard. The entity window that pops up explains most everything you could want to know. Highlighting the entity type at the top of the window provides you with info on each class. For dyno only breakables I don't think you need to use the health key since only dyno will break it. If you wanted it to take more than one blast then you would apply a high health value. In the screenie above I have 3 boards and a sign that are all breakable. You can assign different values to each or select all of them and make them a func_group followed by func_breakable. Grouping them together makes them all break at the same time even if a player only targets one of them. But that's really more useful for items that can be broken with all weapons since a dyno blast should cover the whole area.
Btw, this thread is way off topic now. I think future mapping questions should deserve a new topic. :wink:
Pardner wrote:mapping isnt very hard; its just very hard to do good mapping.

AMEN.
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Postby sig11 » Tue Jul 04, 2006 8:42 pm

hika wrote:First, I will "play" with GTKRadiant, as a FreeBSD version exists, and read some tutorials.

Be aware, though, that some tools have WQ3 specific patches. I have never looked into this myself, though.
In-game name: =SG= Django (yes, it's cliché :-) )
sig11
SG Team

Postby torhu » Tue Jul 04, 2006 11:33 pm

I think only q3map1 and 2 are customized for wq3. The source code for q3map2 could probably be made available if anyone is interested in compiling it for other platforms than Windows.
In game: =SG=monSter
Monster Browser
torhu
SG Team

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Tue Jul 04, 2006 11:44 pm

If there are no objections from the dev team in the next 2 days, I'll make it public. I would only ask that anyone that compiles versions suitable for other operating systems share it with the WQ3 community so that all may enjoy. :)
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Postby hika » Wed Jul 05, 2006 12:57 pm

ReD NeCKersoN wrote:I would only ask that anyone that compiles versions suitable for other operating systems share it with the WQ3 community so that all may enjoy. :)

Nervermind.
If anyone want me to test compilations for other systems ... say *BSD ;),
no problem, I can share this kind of experiences.
SG name: Manchot
SG fansite: http://western.bsdmon.com
userbar originally created by Caffeine
hika
SG Team

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Fri Jul 28, 2006 3:28 am

I'm sorry that I have forgotten this thread as it pertains to q3map2 for wq3. :oops: It is being discussed and a new thread will be started with links as soon as we figure out a couple of things. Once again, my apologies.
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Return to Editor's Forum

Show Sidebar
Show Sidebar

User Control Panel