With cordite in the air, splintered steel, shell casings and powder burns, there’s only one explanation...
Old WQ3 forum - archived. Links may not work.

bot_minplayers and team games

Postby torhu » Wed Jul 13, 2005 2:02 am

Currently, if you have set bot_minplayers > 0 and start a tdm, br, or rtp game, bots will fill the server, leaving only room for one on each team (on an unpatched server they just fill it up). This is the way it works in plain quake3 too.

I'm wondering, would it be better if bot_minplayers would limit the total number of bot in team games too? If bot_minplayers was 4, and 4 people were playing ffa on the server, they probably woudn't want lots of bots joining if they decided to switch to a team gametype. Or what? Or is there some reason for this behavoir in q3 that I just don't see?

In the current patches, there are two cvars, bot_noRTP and bot_noBR. They disable automatic joining of bots alltogether. This was mostly done because the bots spawned without guns, which they don't in the lastest patch. But bot_noBR will probably remain until the bots have got AI for BR. Which may never happen. But in tdm and trp, the bots should work fine now. Except it seems they sometimes spawn all together, but that might be just my imagination.

If I recall correctly, it's a really easy change for me to make. What do the server admins and others think of this idea?
In game: =SG=monSter
Monster Browser
torhu
SG Team

Postby sig11 » Wed Jul 13, 2005 9:30 am

I have to agree that bot_minplayers should limit the bots also in team gametypes as you described (I thought it did but I probably was wrong).

Anyways, I tested it on the test server and found a problem in FFA/Deathmatch. On the test server, the server got filled up now. And when I was quick enough to join, the bots would not show up on the scoreboard (hitting TAB), but issuing status, they are all there.
In-game name: =SG= Django (yes, it's cliché :-) )
sig11
SG Team

Postby torhu » Wed Jul 13, 2005 1:46 pm

I see the same thing on your server, but I can't make it happen on my own. Could you try restarting and see it if still happens? I don't think this is a new bug in the latest patch, it should be present in all the patches, or none. Or something strange has happened on you server.
Monster Browser
torhu
SG Team

Postby sig11 » Wed Jul 13, 2005 2:04 pm

I restarted my server. Once with testpatch08 and once without. It seems to be independent of that. What I did (I hope I remember correctly) in the console (remotely, not via rcon but directly at the prompt):
bot_minplayers 4 (since it was set to 0)
vstr d2 (to change to a FFA map) (that already started slowly filling bots)
g_gametype 0 (since it was set to 4)
map_restart (to actually invoke FFA)
And the bots slowly started filling the server ...
sig11
SG Team

Postby torhu » Wed Jul 13, 2005 3:26 pm

I don't know what could be happening here. Except that if it's independent of the patch and noone else seems to be having the same issues, you might want to consider reninstalling q3 and wq3, or at least resetting you configs. You have only seen this on the test server?
Monster Browser
torhu
SG Team

Postby sig11 » Wed Jul 13, 2005 11:15 pm

I'm getting totally confused now :?: .... Now, I simply used the config file of my bots server (adjusting passwords, names etc), this kept the bots at bot_minplayers. Fine. But : then I switched to br_durango. And now there are 8 bots (i.e. bot_minplayers for each team ???), and 4 open slots ! Not 1 for each team ... It's also interesting that if I display g_gametype it now stays at 0, even on a br_map, however, the game IS BR and the bots try to play BR ... well ... they pretend to try ;-)

Edit : before somebody notices it : yes, I set the wrong password in the test server :oops: it's fixed now. and this is for testpatch08

Here is the current config file that works (essentially my bots server):
Code: Select all
// Administrator Info
sets Admin "sig11"
sets Email "sig11@gmx.net"
sets Location "Germany"
seta rconPassword "XXX"
set g_password "XXX"

// Server Name and Daily Message
set sv_hostname "Beta Test Server"
sets g_motd "Running testpatch08"

seta com_hunkMegs "48"

seta sv_punkbuster "0"
seta punkbuster "0"
seta punkbuster "0"
pb_sv_disable
set sv_strictAuth "0"
//pb_sv_guidrelax "7"
// Game Settings
set sv_maxclients "12"      // The maximum number of connected clients allowed.
// set g_maxGameClients ""  // The maximum number of players that can actually join into the game.  All other connected clients can only Spectate.
//set sv_privateClients "4"   // sv_privateClients and sv_privatePassword allow for private slots on the server.  Example:  If sv_maxclients = 16 and sv_privateClients = 2 then there
 will be 14 public slots and 2 private.
seta g_gametype "0"          // 0 = deathmatch, 1 = duel, 3 = team deathmatch, 4 = round teamplay, 5 = bank robbery
set fraglimit "30"           // 0 = none
set timelimit "30"          // 0 = none
set duellimit "3"               // 0 = none
set scorelimit  "10"    // 0 = none
set g_roundtime "4"      // 0 = none

set g_friendlyFire "0"      // 0 = off, 1 = on
set g_chaseonly "0"     // 0 = off, 1 = on
set g_specsareflies "1" // 0 = off, 1 = on
set g_splitchat "1"     // 0 = off, 1 = on
set g_delagging "1"     // 1 = delagging code enabled, 0 = disabled

// duel
set du_enabletrio "0"   // 0 = off, 1 = on
set du_forcetrio "0"    // 0 = off, 1 = on

// teamnames
set g_redteamname "Lawmen"
set g_blueteamname "Outlaws"

// Passwords
//set rconpassword ""        // Remote administration password.
//set sv_privatePassword ""  // Password for private slots on server.  Client enters password by typing "set password -----" at the console.
//set g_password ""          // Used to password protect the server.  Client enters password by typing "set password -----" at the console.

// Bot Setup
set bot_enable "1"      // 0 = off, 1 = on
set bot_nochat "1"
//set bot_minplayers "4"  // This command manages the addition/removal of autobots.  Bots will leave if there is not enough room on the server. As people join, the bots remove themse
lves one at a time to allow room for the addition of players.
// set bot_minplayers "4"
set g_spSkill "3"

// Server Settings
set sv_pure "1"             // A Pure server will only let users connect if they have the exact same .pk3 files in their q3ut directory as the server does.  Helps stop cheaters from
using modified code.
set g_allowvote "1"         // 0 = off, 1 = on
set sv_allowdownload "0"    // 0 = off, 1 = on
set gamename "westernq3"
set sv_maxRate "8000"       // Sets the maximum allowable rate a client may have set when connected to the server. A suggested setting is 8000 or 10000 so server bandwidth is not use
d up by high speed clients, thus allowing modem players to have a smoother game.
set g_log "server_test.log"  // This is to set the name of the output file.  By default it's "games.log".
// set g_inactivity 3000    // Number of seconds before an inactive player is kicked.

set sv_master1 "master.quake3arena.com"  // By default the server will report to the Id Software master server.

//Set map selection, cycle order, and load first map
// set d1 "set g_gametype 4; map br_elpaso ; set nextmap vstr d2"
// set d2 "map wq_fort ; set nextmap vstr d3"
// set d3 "map br_durango ; set nextmap vstr d4"
// set d4 "map wq_dry ; set nextmap vstr d5"
// set d5 "map du_highnoon ; set nextmap vstr d6"
// set d6 "map br_cobber ; set nextmap vstr d7"
// set d7 "map wq_tillian ; set nextmap vstr d8"
// set d8 "map br_farm ; set nextmap vstr d9"
// set d9 "map wq_mine ; set nextmap vstr d10"
// set d10 "map br_mexico ; set nextmap vstr d11"
// set d11 "map br_santacruz ; set nextmap vstr d12"
// set d12 "map du_showdown ; set nextmap vstr d13"
// set d13 "map wq_sancuchillo ; set nextmap vstr d14"
// set d14 "map wq_canyon ; set nextmap vstr d1"
// vstr d1 // load first map

//g_gametype:  0 = deathmatch, 1 = duel, 3 = team deathmatch, 4 = round teamplay, 5 = bank robbery

set d1 "set g_gametype 0; map wq_canyon ; addbot jane 2 ; addbot tuco 1 ; addbot sentenza 3 ; addbot clint 2 ; set bot_minplayers 4; set nextmap vstr d2"
set d2 "set g_gametype 0; map wq_dry ; addbot themexican 2 ; addbot sentenza 1 ; set nextmap vstr d3"
set d3 "set g_gametype 0; map wq_train ; addbot oakley 2 ; addbot unknown 1 ; set nextmap vstr d5"
set d4 "set g_gametype 0; map wq_mine ; addbot manwithnoname 2 ; addbot oakley 1 ; set nextmap vstr d5"
set d5 "set g_gametype 0; map wq_sancuchillo ; addbot themexican 2 ; addbot tuco 1 ; set nextmap vstr d6"
set d6 "set g_gametype 0; map wq_fort ; addbot sentenza 2 ; addbot clint 1 ; set nextmap vstr d7"
set d7 "set g_gametype 0; map wq_town ; addbot manwithnoname 2 ; addbot unknown 1 ; set nextmap vstr d8"
set d8 "set g_gametype 0; map wq_tillian ; addbot unknown 2 ; addbot jane 1 ; set nextmap vstr d1"
vstr d1

And here is the config file that did not work, i.e. kept filling the server. But this is essentially the one that comes with WQ3
Code: Select all
// Administrator Info 
sets Admin "sig11" 
sets Email "sig11@bootblock.de" 

// Server Name and Daily Message 
set sv_hostname "Test Server" 
set g_motd "Test Server"// This is the message that will be displayed during loading. 

// Game Settings 
set sv_maxclients "16"      // The maximum number of connected clients allowed. 
// set g_maxGameClients ""  // The maximum number of players that can actually join into the game.  All other connected clients can only Spectate. 
//set sv_privateClients "4"   // sv_privateClients and sv_privatePassword allow for private slots on the server.  Example:  If sv_maxclients = 16 and sv_privateClients = 2 then there
 will be 14 public slots and 2 private. 
set g_gametype "0"          // 0 = deathmatch, 1 = duel, 3 = team deathmatch, 4 = round teamplay, 5 = bank robbery 
set fraglimit "30"           // 0 = none 
set timelimit "20"          // 0 = none 
set duellimit "3"               // 0 = none 
set scorelimit  "10"    // 0 = none 
set g_roundtime "4"      // 0 = none 

set g_friendlyFire "0"      // 0 = off, 1 = on 
set g_chaseonly "0"     // 0 = off, 1 = on 
set g_specsareflies "1" // 0 = off, 1 = on 
set g_splitchat "1"     // 0 = off, 1 = on 
set g_delagging "1"     // 1 = delagging code enabled, 0 = disabled 

// duel 
set du_enabletrio "0"   // 0 = off, 1 = on 
set du_forcetrio "0"    // 0 = off, 1 = on 

// teamnames 
set g_redteamname "Lawmen" 
set g_blueteamname "Outlaws" 

// Passwords 
set rconpassword "XXX"        // Remote administration password. 
//set sv_privatePassword ""  // Password for private slots on server.  Client enters password by typing "set password -----" at the console. 
//set g_password ""          // Used to password protect the server.  Client enters password by typing "set password -----" at the console. 
set g_password "XXX"

// Bot Setup   
set bot_enable "1"      // 0 = off, 1 = on 
//set bot_minplayers "4"  // This command manages the addition/removal of autobots.  Bots will leave if there is not enough room on the server. As people join, the bots remove themse
lves one at a time to allow room for the addition of players. 
set bot_minplayers "4"

// Server Settings 
set sv_pure "1"             // A Pure server will only let users connect if they have the exact same .pk3 files in their q3ut directory as the server does.  Helps stop cheaters from
using modified code. 
set g_allowvote "1"         // 0 = off, 1 = on 
set sv_allowdownload "0"    // 0 = off, 1 = on 
set gamename "westernq3" 
set sv_maxRate "8000"       // Sets the maximum allowable rate a client may have set when connected to the server. A suggested setting is 8000 or 10000 so server bandwidth is not use
d up by high speed clients, thus allowing modem players to have a smoother game. 
set g_log "server.log"  // This is to set the name of the output file.  By default it's "games.log".   
// set g_inactivity 3000    // Number of seconds before an inactive player is kicked. 

// Master Servers 
//set sv_master2 "master0.gamespy.com:28900"  // Server reports to gamespy master server. 
//seta sv_master4 "q3master.gamesinferno.com" 
//seta sv_master3 "q3master.barrysworld.com:27950" 
//seta sv_master2 "master0.gamespy.com" 
//seta sv_master1 "master3.idsoftware.com"  // By default the server will report to the Id Software master server. 
// The server can report to a maximum of 5 master servers. 

//Set map selection, cycle order, and load first map 
set d1 "set g_gametype 4; map br_elpaso ; set nextmap vstr d2" 
set d2 "map wq_fort ; set nextmap vstr d3" 
set d3 "map br_durango ; set nextmap vstr d4" 
set d4 "map wq_dry ; set nextmap vstr d5" 
set d5 "map du_highnoon ; set nextmap vstr d6" 
set d6 "map br_cobber ; set nextmap vstr d7" 
set d7 "map wq_tillian ; set nextmap vstr d8" 
set d8 "map br_farm ; set nextmap vstr d9" 
set d9 "map wq_mine ; set nextmap vstr d10" 
set d10 "map br_mexico ; set nextmap vstr d11" 
set d11 "map br_santacruz ; set nextmap vstr d12" 
set d12 "map du_showdown ; set nextmap vstr d13" 
set d13 "map wq_sancuchillo ; set nextmap vstr d14" 
set d14 "map wq_canyon ; set nextmap vstr d1" 
vstr d2 // load first map
sig11
SG Team

Postby sig11 » Wed Jul 13, 2005 11:37 pm

Sigh .... and after the damn br_durango map is finished I get the same behaviour as I described earlier, i.e. with the second config : the bots keep filling the server .... Also, if that helps, I get a whole shitload of "NET_CompareAdr: bad address type" on the console which eventually stops.
sig11
SG Team

Postby sig11 » Thu Jul 14, 2005 12:03 am

OK I think I know what the problem is : it's the use of g_password. It seems the bots try to join but can't actually join since the password does not match (I think I may have seen some remarks about that on the console while hunting the problem). When I used my supposedly working config file I set the wrong password .... so that's why it worked .... then I set g_password and all of a sudden (or rather after the map), it borked again.
sig11
SG Team

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Thu Jul 14, 2005 12:13 am

*EDITED* :oops:
Last edited by ReD NeCKersoN on Thu Jul 14, 2005 1:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Postby torhu » Thu Jul 14, 2005 12:25 am

The server shows in ASE anyway. And the patch will spread too. Maybe this discussion should be continued in the private section? After all, this thread was supposed to be about changing the behavior of bot_minplayers...
Monster Browser
torhu
SG Team

Re: bot_minplayers and team games

Postby torhu » Fri Jul 15, 2005 12:09 am

torhu wrote:Currently, if you have set bot_minplayers > 0 and start a tdm, br, or rtp game, bots will fill the server, leaving only room for one on each team (on an unpatched server they just fill it up). This is the way it works in plain quake3 too.

Seems I was just imagening things here... What really happens, is that the bots fill up until there are bot_minplayers players on each team, always leaving room for one more on each team. So there's not much point in changing anything, since I guess servers will have bots disabled in BR, possibly TRP, since they have some problems getting stuck in each other when spawning at close to each other. But maybe I'll do it anyway. Or I'll just wait and see what people want.
Monster Browser
torhu
SG Team

Postby torhu » Sun Sep 25, 2005 9:51 pm

I've changed how bot_minplayers is used for team games. Now bots will be added until there are bot_minplayers / 2 players on each team. If bot_minplayers is an odd number, it will first be rounded up to the nearest even number. So bot_minplayers = 5 will give you 6/2 = 3 on each team.

Is this okay with you server admins? I hope it's not confusing that it differs from the vanilla q3 behavior.
Monster Browser
torhu
SG Team

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Mon Sep 26, 2005 3:26 am

This might be a dumb question but will there be an option or would it always load 2 per team?
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Postby torhu » Mon Sep 26, 2005 3:38 am

That's a pretty lame question, yup. 'bot_minplayers / 2' means bot_minplayers divided by 2. Does that answer you question? :P
Monster Browser
torhu
SG Team

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Mon Sep 26, 2005 3:44 am

Ok. I just wasn't seeing the "divided by" thing there. I'm usually too busy looking at the forest to see the trees.
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Return to Game Server Info

Show Sidebar
Show Sidebar

User Control Panel