With cordite in the air, splintered steel, shell casings and powder burns, there’s only one explanation...
Old WQ3 forum - archived. Links may not work.

Western Quake 3 log analyzer

Postby hika » Tue Jun 13, 2006 12:14 am

I think it could be funny to have some log analyzer for each servers.
Just imagine all the players with their frag number, their weapons statistics, their preferred weapon ... etc :)

So, I would like to know if anybody knows a good log analyzer that extracts this kind of informations, and that is easy to use for a Web page ...
If such a program does not exist, perhaps somebody can be interested in developing (me ? :)), or using this tool.
If this is the case, what programming language is it preferred ?
PHP class for using it in a Web page ? Perl, C in order to have a command line tool ?

I also imagine the possibility to have a Western Quake 3 log server program that sends info, extracted from logs, in the variable\value form, just like the "getinfo" command ...
In this way, Web page like bootblock.de can poll it and grab some values.

At this time, it is only in a state of reflexion, so if anyone has some others suggestions, don't hesitate, except if nobody is interested. :|
SG name: Manchot
SG fansite: http://western.bsdmon.com
userbar originally created by Caffeine
hika
SG Team

Postby torhu » Tue Jun 13, 2006 12:48 am

I'm betting there are tools like this for vanilla q3 already. I'd start by trying to find those. :)
In game: =SG=monSter
Monster Browser
torhu
SG Team

Postby L3th4l » Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:25 am

L3th4l
Smokin' Amigo!

Postby Caffeine » Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:52 am

vsp might work. I haven't tried it myself, though.
Caffeine
Pistolero

Postby hika » Tue Jun 13, 2006 9:09 am

Hey, thanks for your quick answers.
I will try those (except qstat ;) because it only gives real time statistics), and give you some reports.
hika
SG Team

Postby DeUgli » Tue Jun 13, 2006 6:22 pm

How about Q3LOG? I haven't tried it, but it fits your search--
http://sourceforge.net/project/showfile ... p_id=62721
DeUgli
Smokin' Amigo!

Postby hika » Wed Jun 14, 2006 12:46 am

Thanks for the links :)
I have just tried VSP and Q3Log :

- For VSP, it is quite a complete log analyzer that parses logs and stores data in a MySQL database. It also provides some PHP Web page that shows lots of statistics info about players, weapons, and even rounds. The parse and store process is written in PHP, and can be launch from either an HTTP request or PHP CLI (e.g command line).
- For Q3Log, it is more simple, but can be enough for providing players, weapons statictics.
It is a command line tool written in Java, that generate simple HTML report pages.

For both of them, western quake 3 mod is not fully supported :(, unlike Urban terror.
However, VSP can provide some correct weapon names, unlike Q3Log.

VSP, in the current package can be enough to have some decent statistic pages, but it seems that some Western quake 3 skinning is needed :)

Here are some results :
- VSP : http://wq3.bsdmon.com/vsp/
- Q3Log : http://wq3.bsdmon.com/q3log/
hika
SG Team

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Wed Jun 14, 2006 1:34 am

Hmm, this is good stuff! Would be nice if there were a way to filter out bots though. I mean, who cares what their stats are right? Also, bot kills shouldn't count either imo. Way too easy to jump on an empty sever & pad your stats against bots. If something like this could be implemented for bootblock, it could start a competition of sorts. Players might play more frequently in order to keep their stats high. Good incentive to play often! :D

I'm also aware that Lethal was playing around with a built in page for the WQ3 website that tracks the servers. Having something like this incorporated into it (or bootblock) would be awesome.
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Postby hika » Wed Jun 14, 2006 1:44 pm

ReD NeCKersoN wrote:Would be nice if there were a way to filter out bots though. I mean, who cares what their stats are right? Also, bot kills shouldn't count either imo.

This is possible with VSP.
You can recheck my small VSP Website :)

ReD NeCKersoN wrote:If something like this could be implemented for bootblock, it could start a competition of sorts. Players might play more frequently in order to keep their stats high. Good incentive to play often! :D

Yeah, it could be cool. This is good way to incitate people to play more :D
First, I will implement this for Wasteland.
Then, if any Western Quake 3 server admins need some help for implementing a VSP, do not hesitate :)
If we can have it in a centralized website like bootblock, I agree it would be awesome.
hika
SG Team

Postby sig11 » Wed Jun 14, 2006 11:27 pm

Cool stuff indeed !!!

I've never looked into log file analyzers (no real reason really ...)

@Red I can relatively easily implement it _only_ for my own servers on bootblock. Having bootblock collect the stats from all other game servers is not possible unless these servers provide me with their logfiles (somehow).

Also, at some time while I was digging through the standalone code and while I was thinking about a WQ3 master, it occured to me that it might be possible to modify the standalone engine so that it communicates many more stats to the master. Then the master could indeed create detailed stats. But then again, this would make things quite incompatible to vanilla Q3A/WQ3-mod combos - not even mentioning the huge amount of coding ;-) ..

P.S.: if only I would find more time for WQ3 lately ... :-(
In-game name: =SG= Django (yes, it's cliché :-) )
sig11
SG Team

Postby hika » Wed Jun 14, 2006 11:53 pm

sig11 wrote:Having bootblock collect the stats from all other game servers is not possible unless these servers provide me with their logfiles (somehow).

This is possible with VSP.
I have find this in the config file :
Code: Select all
//================================================
// Remote downloading of logs

$cfg['ftp']['logs_path']= "./ftplogs/";        // Files downloaded from ftp server will go into this directory on local server.
    $cfg['ftp']['username'] = "ftp_user";
    $cfg['ftp']['password'] = "ftp_pass";
    $cfg['ftp']['pasv'] = 0;                       // Enable(1)/Disable(0) Passive mode. Some FTP servers may require this to be ON
    $cfg['ftp']['overwrite'] = 0;                  // Enable(1)/Disable(0) overwriting of file(s). A value of 0 resumes the log.

If needed, i can try it, just to check if it works.
However, I don't know how we can handle log growth, even if FTP resume seems to be supported.

sig11: I can provide an FTP account to the log file, if needed.

BTW, I just have opened a VSP Web site for Wasteland :
It can be checked at http://western.bsdmon.com/vsp :D

An important detail, one VSP installation can handle as many servers as we want. So it just suits a centralized Web site.
hika
SG Team

Postby L3th4l » Thu Jun 15, 2006 1:55 am

Server has to be stopped everytime you need to get the log file. I can't do anything with the log file on the official WQ3 server without shuting it down first. That is why I haven't inplemented this yet. That is to much hassle for me..
L3th4l
Smokin' Amigo!

Postby hika » Thu Jun 15, 2006 9:05 am

L3th4l wrote:Server has to be stopped everytime you need to get the log file.

Do you mean, when reading the log file for an FTP transfer ?
I don't have any problem when it comes to parse the file with a program like VSP (written in PHP).
Perhaps, it depends on the operating system, and some file lock implementation ;)
hika
SG Team

Postby L3th4l » Thu Jun 15, 2006 2:31 pm

hika wrote:Do you mean, when reading the log file for an FTP transfer?

Yes, Files that are in use can't be moved. So the server has to be stopped to free the file, then it can be transfered.. Now, I have never tried VSP, so maybe there is something different about it. I'm going to give it a try today and see what happens..
L3th4l
Smokin' Amigo!

Postby L3th4l » Thu Jun 15, 2006 7:11 pm

Took alot of bullshit but RAWHIDE is now automagicly generating player stats and updates every 4 hours. 8)

hika, how did you get it not to list bots? Did you use "ping>0".
L3th4l
Smokin' Amigo!

Next

Return to Game Server Info

Show Sidebar
Show Sidebar

User Control Panel