With cordite in the air, splintered steel, shell casings and powder burns, there’s only one explanation...
Post feedback & meet new friends. General SG discussion.

Moderators: Pardner, TheDoctor

Just played online for the first time, and WOW!

Postby iLag » Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:33 am

I've been lurking around somewhat following Smokin' Guns for a while. Today I finally decided to play online instead of against the retarded bots [though I do have to say the improvements in the git repository made them somewhat more dangerous], and man did I have a blast. Yeah, the game may be almost entirely dead, with almost nobody on the two American-based servers I saw up [one of them for good reason], but a game like this needs a revival. Instead of rewarding being the highest level like RPGs and Call of Duty, instead of being bogged down by trying to be overly realistic like ARMA and PR, instead of having guns so inaccurate you're better off firing warning shots and relying on the game to make you miss like Counter-Strike and Urban Terror, Smokin' Guns rewards player skill above all else. Better weapons make a difference, but not that much of one.

I am not a big fan of westerns; I don't think I've ever even watched a western movie or played a western video game. Closest I've ever gotten was Firefly, or perhaps Trigun, but both of those are Space Westerns. Well there was Tremors 4, but that doesn't count. I just like that this game provides fast action without being overly frantic and rewards trigger discipline as opposed to spraying.

The last online game I played and enjoyed was Insurgency, but that died years ago. If Smokin' Guns experiences a revival, then I'll be one happy man. In fact I'm ready and willing to help out with the development of Smokin' Guns and bring it towards that revival.

I have no experience modding Quake 3, making maps for it, or anything else. Closest thing is that I have screwed around with Valve's Hammer Editor, a mapmaker for the Source Engine, but haven't released any maps. I can probably figure out how to get GtkRadient to work if need be, considering the similarities between the Quake engine and Source engine.
I've also screwed around with Blender, and was able to get a hold of an MD3 Import/Export script. I have no idea how well it works, but it seems to work just fine. Like with map editing I haven't released anything, but I'm willing to learn.
As far as coding goes, I have all of no familiarity with Quake 3's setup, but as a CS major in college I do know the basics of programming and the C language. I haven't done anything serious yet, but again I'm definitely willing to learn. I was able to checkout the source from git and compile it, so I'm all set up to start.

Wow. I didn't mean to turn this post into an application to join the team. Just consider that a complement as to how thoroughly impressed I am with Smokin' Guns. And don't expect me to be doing too much to help out after all; I think I'm just riding off a high I got from making almost everybody I ran into ragequit, which isn't bad for my first time online. That and I have college classes starting again really soon, so I don't know if I'll have all that much time. Still, I'd at least like to do something, and if there is something I can do, I'll do it.
iLag
SG Contributor

Re: Just played online for the first time, and WOW!

Postby Tequila » Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:59 am

Howdy iLag and welcome !

This is sweet to hear about people wanting to help in any way he can. We are really in a good step for a new release and you'll surely be able to help us to just get a better release. A beta test will soon start and any skilled man could help.

Last week I still migrated our old Trac site from SourceForge to a newer and fast version. We have there a bug tracker and you may still want to start helping on any of still alive bug... This just could be a good starting point.

iLag wrote:I am not a big fan of westerns; I don't think I've ever even watched a western movie or played a western video game. Closest I've ever gotten was Firefly, or perhaps Trigun, but both of those are Space Westerns. Well there was Tremors 4, but that doesn't count. I just like that this game provides fast action without being overly frantic and rewards trigger discipline as opposed to spraying.

Hey, I'm a Firefly fan !! Didn't heard about Trigun.
Also I'm dreaming on a space western Smokin'Guns mod... Interested ? ;)
Will have to contact Malcom Reynolds to ask if he would be our guest star |D
:twisted:
Last edited by Tequila on Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed pseudo iLag

Join Smokin'Guns Return room on Discord
Tequila
SG Team

Postby iLag » Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:39 am

Last week I still migrated our old Trac site from SourceForge to a newer and fast version. We have there a bug tracker and you may still want to start helping on any of still alive bug... This just could be a good starting point.
Well, seems I missed that earlier. I'll give it a look over and see if there's anything I can figure out.

The reason you didn't is because Trigun is an anime, that is Japanese cartoon. Also, there was one more western I forgot to mention in that list: Blazing Saddles. I can't believe that I couldn't remember that one; it's one of my favorite movies.

Also I'm dreaming on a space western Smokin'Guns mod... Interested ? ;)
Will have to contact Malcom Reynolds to ask if he would be our guest star |D
:twisted:
Yeah, it's a bit ambitious for right now. I think focusing on SG 1.2 is a better idea for now.

Oh, and one last thing: it's iLag. With an L, not a T.
iLag
SG Contributor

Postby iLag » Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:02 am

I just came up with the fix for Ticket 27: You cannot buy knives after you bought a scope. If you clicked the link, then you'd notice that I also posted this there and attached the patch properly.

The problem was caused by an oversight in the use of ENUMs. WP_KNIFE and PW_SCOPE have the same value of 1, selecting the knife to purchase when you have a scope in your inventory caused this if statement to trigger:
if(item->giTag == PW_SCOPE && cg.snap->ps.powerups[PW_SCOPE]) return;

The solution was to encapsulate that if as well as the other two into an if statement. More specifically, the else branch of if(item->giType == IT_WEAPON).
Testing shows no signs of any issues. All items remain purchasable, and it was possible to purchase knives after purchasing a scope.

Included in the patch is a fix to what is most likely a non-issue relating to text colors. Since nobody noticed it before, it must not have been a problem, but at least now it matches everything correctly.

Code: Select all
diff --git a/code/cgame/cg_draw.c b/code/cgame/cg_draw.c
index b103544..649c254 100644
--- a/code/cgame/cg_draw.c
+++ b/code/cgame/cg_draw.c
@@ -3799,7 +3799,7 @@ static void CG_SetupItemMenu(void){
          (item->giTag == PW_BELT && cg.snap->ps.powerups[PW_BELT] && item->giType == IT_POWERUP) ||
          (item->giType == IT_ARMOR && cg.snap->ps.stats[STAT_ARMOR])||
          (item->giType == IT_POWERUP && item->giTag == PW_SCOPE && cg.snap->ps.powerups[PW_SCOPE]) ||
-         (((item->giTag == WP_DYNAMITE || item->giTag == WP_KNIFE || WP_MOLOTOV) && item->giType == IT_WEAPON) &&
+         (((item->giTag == WP_DYNAMITE || item->giTag == WP_KNIFE || item->giTag == WP_MOLOTOV) && item->giType == IT_WEAPON) &&
          cg.snap->ps.ammo[item->giTag] >= bg_weaponlist[item->giTag].maxAmmo)))
       {
          menu_items[count].inventory = qtrue;
@@ -4135,14 +4135,14 @@ static void CG_DrawBuyMenu( void ) {
                && item->weapon_sort != WS_MISC){
                return;
             }
-         }
-         if(item->giTag == PW_BELT && cg.snap->ps.powerups[PW_BELT])
-            return;
-         if(item->giType == IT_ARMOR && cg.snap->ps.stats[STAT_ARMOR])
-            return;
-         if(item->giTag == PW_SCOPE && cg.snap->ps.powerups[PW_SCOPE])
-            return;
-
+         } else {
+                if(item->giTag == PW_BELT && cg.snap->ps.powerups[PW_BELT])
+                    return;
+                if(item->giType == IT_ARMOR && cg.snap->ps.stats[STAT_ARMOR])
+                if(item->giTag == PW_SCOPE && cg.snap->ps.powerups[PW_SCOPE])
+            }
          trap_SendConsoleCommand(va("cg_buy %s\n", item->classname));
 //         trap_S_StartSound(NULL, cg.snap->ps.clientNum, CHAN_WEAPON, cgs.media.buySound);
          cg.oldbutton = qtrue;
iLag
SG Contributor

Postby Tequila » Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:35 am

iLag wrote:
The reason you didn't is because Trigun is an anime, that is Japanese cartoon. Also, there was one more western I forgot to mention in that list: Blazing Saddles. I can't believe that I couldn't remember that one; it's one of my favorite movies.

Also I'm dreaming on a space western Smokin'Guns mod... Interested ? ...
Yeah, it's a bit ambitious for right now. I think focusing on SG 1.2 is a better idea for now.

Oh, and one last thing: it's iLag. With an L, not a T.

Hi, sorry for the typo. Was tired :mrgreen:

Trigun and Blazing Saddles, okay I take the advice. I was also a fan of Cobra manga.
Sure this is ambitious but we all need dreams in our days ;)
And honestly I'm dreaming of Smokin'Guns 1.2 since a long time and... it will come.
;)
PS: I'm also dreaming on Smokin'Guns 2.0 :D

Tequila
SG Team

Postby Tequila » Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:39 am

iLag wrote:I just came up with the fix for Ticket 27: You cannot buy knives after you bought a scope. If you clicked the link, then you'd notice that I also posted this there and attached the patch properly.

8O Really nice shot !!
I'll merge that later today ! If I survive after my sunday sport...
:D

Tequila
SG Team

Postby Biondo » Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:48 pm

Welcome on board, iLag. You have found a goldmine :)
Your panegyric on Smokin' Guns merits should be sculpted in stone!
Too bad no New World server is really active at present days.
Biondo
SG Website Designer

Postby TheDoctor » Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:38 pm

Biondo wrote:Too bad no New World server is really active at present days.
Not sure this is true: recently, I noticed on some evenings at least one busy server in the US (sometimes Paladin, sometimes Warhawk, sometimes Good, Bad & Ugly), even when the majority of the players seemed of European origin :wink:. Still though, the game should have more players from the states.
TheDoctor
Smokin' Amigo!

Postby Biondo » Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:45 pm

TheDoctor wrote:the majority of the players seemed of European origin

Maybe you've seen me playing, Doc :)

No, seriously, the game is resurrecting. We passed a hard crisis (RawHide closing, Master server closing, Site closing), but we were proud enough to fight for SG survival :)

Thanks again to Téquila, Joe Kari, TheDoctor, Barto, ricochet, Torhu and many other I can't remember now. Some day, a good US server will arise again.

Oh, too much sentimental tonight ... sorry :)
Biondo
SG Website Designer

Postby Pardner » Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:45 am

Glad you liked they game, its good to see someone who likes gameplay more than graphics! Many of the people I introduce to SG usually have the "eeewwww...." reaction.

TheDoctor wrote:Not sure this is true: recently, I noticed on some evenings at least one busy server in the US (sometimes Paladin, sometimes Warhawk, sometimes Good, Bad & Ugly), even when the majority of the players seemed of European origin :wink:. Still though, the game should have more players from the states.

I really like Warhawk server, but there is no voting i.e. no BR mode. Ballerbude and Jeux is just too hard! ;) (Both the ping and the players).
Pardner
SG Team

Postby iLag » Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:19 am

Well, I did some more work on the Trac's issue list.

#28 Gatling gun duplication bug (Fire a gun after gun is thrown away)
Could not replicate. Referenced videos no longer exist so I can not confirm I'm perfectly repeating the steps.

#35 End of a round pause
Patch provided. Unfortunately, said patch reveals minor bugs in the handling of map_restart when the round has ended.

#34 Shot at the beggining of a round
Could not replicate. Attached demo was useless due to depending on the map br_tijuana, which I was unable to obtain.

#26 1.1b4 bots cannot cope with more than one target
Replicated in 1.1 Release, but could not replicate in git master and ioq3-synchro. I believe that this is fixed already, thanks to "Merged bot AI enhancement by TheDoctor".

As a final note, it looks like my patch for #27 was only added to the svn and not the git repositories. While right now it's not a real problem, in the future it could create issues.
iLag
SG Contributor

Postby Tequila » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:30 am

iLag wrote:Well, I did some more work on the Trac's issue list.

#28 Gatling gun duplication bug (Fire a gun after gun is thrown away)
Could not replicate. Referenced videos no longer exist so I can not confirm I'm perfectly repeating the steps.

#35 End of a round pause
Patch provided. Unfortunately, said patch reveals minor bugs in the handling of map_restart when the round has ended.

#34 Shot at the beggining of a round
Could not replicate. Attached demo was useless due to depending on the map br_tijuana, which I was unable to obtain.

#26 1.1b4 bots cannot cope with more than one target
Replicated in 1.1 Release, but could not replicate in git master and ioq3-synchro. I believe that this is fixed already, thanks to "Merged bot AI enhancement by TheDoctor".

Thank you for the review and submissions. This is a nice work.

I agree we need to complete these bugs. About the gatling bug, I still reproduce few of them but some seems to be fixed in ioq3-synchro branch.

iLag wrote:As a final note, it looks like my patch for #27 was only added to the svn and not the git repositories. While right now it's not a real problem, in the future it could create issues.

In fact, it was in the ioq3-synchro branch but for the master branch I've some scripts to synchronize svn & github using "git svn"... but as we upgraded the SF project (in the sens of SourceForge tools), the SVN URL changed and I needed to checkout again completely the project... long time run and I was tired after I crashed my computer 2 or 3 times testing bloom effects =(
So it should be in github master later today :P

Tequila
SG Team

Postby torhu » Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:34 pm

Tequila wrote:In fact, it was in the ioq3-synchro branch but for the master branch I've some scripts to synchronize svn & github using "git svn"... but as we upgraded the SF project (in the sens of SourceForge tools), the SVN URL changed and I needed to checkout again completely the project... long time run and I was tired after I crashed my computer 2 or 3 times testing bloom effects =(
So it should be in github master later today :P

Can't you just do "svn switch --relocate OLDURL NEWURL" instead of checking out again?
In game: =SG=monSter
Monster Browser
torhu
SG Team

Postby Tequila » Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:19 pm

torhu wrote:Can't you just do "svn switch --relocate OLDURL NEWURL" instead of checking out again?

Hi torhu, the deal was not with "svn" but "git svn"... I tried to relocate from there but didn't find immediatly the right way. So I was just lazy and tried to initialize everything again...
But the story is not finished :mrgreen:

Tequila
SG Team

Postby torhu » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:43 pm

Ok, I see :mrgreen:
In game: =SG=monSter
Monster Browser
torhu
SG Team

Return to Saloon

Show Sidebar
Show Sidebar

User Control Panel