With cordite in the air, splintered steel, shell casings and powder burns, there’s only one explanation...
For all you mappers out there!

Moderators: Joe Kari, Pardner, TheDoctor, Breli

[MAP] Desert Blood v2

Postby Hideous » Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:51 pm

Right, so I updated the map and fixed a bunch of errors, figured it'd be fitting to make a new release thread. The map now has a whole added 3rd level, you can get on top of the water tower, the wagon won't jam you in place, the money is more evenly spread, there are 3 more spawn points, etc.

DOWNLOAD HERE

I think I've said this before, but if you want to, feel free to include this in further SG releases, or in your map downloads section. :)
Hideous
Drifter

Postby Tequila » Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:08 pm

8O
Just tried it a little... very nice indeed for a new SG mapper !! :)
Tequila
SG Team

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:29 pm

I haven't had a chance to look at this new version yet, but hopefully I'll find some time tonight.
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Postby zeVlad » Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:32 pm

No more dispo. Sad, I would test this map... :|
I'm the n00b... No mercy !
zeVlad
Pistolero

Postby zeVlad » Fri Jan 16, 2009 3:12 pm

Very good map to play with a few friends or to involve with bots (the big advantage in this small map : the bots aren't lost :D ).

Very great ! :lol:
I'm the n00b... No mercy !
zeVlad
Pistolero

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Sat Jan 17, 2009 2:33 am

Ok, the new version is a nice improvement over the first try. However, if you select the wagon model in Radiant & hit N on your keyboard to bring up the entity window, you can apply a key spawnflags with a value of 4 to get rid of the "glowing" effect on your wagon wheels.
Spawnflags 4 allows the model to cast & receive shadows as well. And might I suggest some cactus here & there? Just a few would go a long way to making the place look more natural.

We'll mention your new map in the next news post. Maybe some more folks will try it & report thier likes & dislikes before we offer it in our downloads section. That'll give you a chance for some more refinement if you'd like.
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Postby Hideous » Sat Jan 17, 2009 2:44 am

I had absolutely no idea about spawnflags! Will add that tomorrow :)

(that also explains why the bushes I had were fullbright)
Hideous
Drifter

Postby Joe Kari » Sat Jan 17, 2009 2:04 pm

About the gameplay, for instance it's more about a spawnkilling fest', even on 1 vs 1 (I have tried it with my brother). IMHO, it lacks many many many more cover place (I can't imagine playin' it with 3 or 4 players).

About the general visual aspect... hmm... Maybe using some phong shading here and there could improve it. It looks like all was cutting with a giant edge... maybe a bit smoother could be more attractive ?

Oh and have you think about adding _lighmapscale to the worldspawn ? with a value of either 0.25 or 0.125 ?

Don't forget to caulk invisible faces of your brushwork, so the renderer will not have to compute those faces !

And finally, I manage to fall off the cliff at the bad side, between the cliff and the skybox (the cliff that outline the map). You should add some player clip there to prevent that.
Joe Kari
SG Team

Return to Level Editing

Show Sidebar
Show Sidebar

User Control Panel