With cordite in the air, splintered steel, shell casings and powder burns, there’s only one explanation...
Discuss & improve the game engine.

Moderators: sparcdr, torhu, Tequila

ioQ3 backport

Postby Tequila » Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:38 am

Hi impatient cowboys,

I've just committed the Smokin'Guns engine backport to ioQuake3 SDK in our SourceForge SVN as /branches/1.1.

For now only the engine (client and dedicated) is compiling on Unix platform. I still successfully built and run 64 bits client and also the dedicated server.

There's a lot of new stuff I can't just test, so help will be needed there to test them. You can just check the README file (unmodified ioQuake3 one) to have an idea of what to test... The firsts things to test of course are compilation on alternative platform. Any guy with compilation skills could try it on its preferred Unix platform and of course report bugs and success here on the forum. Especially we should quickly be able to build the engine for Mac users.

Some exciting stuffs are to be tested before we can release any official binaries. VoIP, AVI video capture of demos, anaglyph 3D support, are some of the ones I want to be tested ;)

So don't be too impatient :roll: there's still a lot of work is to be done to finalize that backport.

But to try it, you just have to checkout the 1.1 branche and start "make" on the root folder... Then don't forget to update every day your copy as we are actively working on the sources.
8)
Tequila
SG Team

Postby Tequila » Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:41 am

:? Im' sorry for the number of commit. I would love to have done one commit for the branch but many things has gone wrong with my current network and svn was crappy with some related disconnections...
Sorry sorry...
Tequila
SG Team

Postby sparcdr » Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:44 pm

As long as it's tagged it can be ignored.
sparcdr
SG Team

Postby /dev/random » Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:06 pm

I'd really like to know if SMP finally works :D
As soon as I find the time, I will test the server with Debian.
VoIP uses mumble, right? I don't know whether my server has enough bandwith for that..
/dev/random
Smokin' Amigo!

Postby sparcdr » Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:19 pm

This post has been deleted by a gunslinger.
Last edited by sparcdr on Thu Sep 10, 2009 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sparcdr
SG Team

Re: ioQ3 backport

Postby mattie » Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:59 am

Tequila wrote:The firsts things to test of course are compilation on alternative platform. Any guy with compilation skills could try it on its preferred Unix platform and of course report bugs and success here on the forum. Especially we should quickly be able to build the engine for Mac users.

maybe not the most exciting test result but.. :)
I succesfully compiled and ran trunk on opensuse 10.3. i was not sure how to check out the 1.1 branch, so I just checked out trunk :)

It would be really exciting to be able to follow development progress here on the forum or on some blog. keep us posted! :)
mattie
Newcomer

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:08 am

Just tested sparcdr's Windows compile. "Hitching" in train is still present. I also get a lot of errors in the console.

Picture file

EDIT: Those of us on TS are beginning to suspect OpenAL backport in a Windows OS.
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Postby torhu » Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:37 am

The red messages are probably from openAL. You can disable openAL like this, and they should go away:

Code: Select all
/s_useopenAL 0
/snd_restart

Use s_backend or s_info to see which sound backend you're currently using.
In game: =SG=monSter
Monster Browser
torhu
SG Team

Postby Tequila » Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:20 am

Hi,

@sparcdr: "As long as it's tagged it can be ignored."
what do you mean ? You are not clear in your response...
I made a branch, I didn't really tag it... even if branching can be though like tagging.

@mattie: You have successfully compiled the official engine with few improvements, just check the Changelog file. To try the ioQ3 backport, try this in a console:
1. To checkout:
svn checkout https://smokinguns.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/smokinguns/branches/1.1 smokinguns-1.1

2. or to just export:
svn export https://smokinguns.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/smokinguns/branches/1.1 smokinguns-1.1

If you checkout, you will be able to do "svn update" to your smokinguns_1.1 quickly updated with next updates. If you "export", you will have to completely "export" again for future updates.

@/dev/random: No VoIP and Mumble are completely different things. VoIP support is a new engine feature with dedicated gaming cvar to control it. To be able to use it, we will have to update the UI. I will work on that as soon as possible. Mumble support is there if you prefer to use Mumble client to discuss with your friends. And Mumble support in engine is just to give positional information to Mumble, so voices will be altered to give you the tough where are speaking people. Also you should still know Mumble support is in the 1.0 engine: You can found some few things to setup from the main System settings menu.
And about SMP support, you can compile current engine with SMP support, but it is disabled in ioQ3 sources (so in our backport). You should know it disabled 'cause ioQ3 uses SDL libraries and SDL is not supporting SMP. It should support SMP some day... Also SMP support is only for the client. In fact, when you are using SMP, the client starts another thread for the renderer so you should have game logic in a thread and renderer stuffs in another. It can be useful if you have an old video card with poor performances, but it's not for newer ones.

@ReD & Torhu: You are discussing about OpenAl in 1.0 or trunk engine, isn't it ? I'm not aware about a windows compile for ioQ3 backport, so you will have to discuss about that in another thread. OpenAl support in windows engine 1.1 build should be far better than the compilation sparcdr managed to do for engine 1.0.

Then...
about the branching with version number "1.1" ? Is people agree with that ? Do you have comment about the branching process ?

Thanks to read such a long post :P

8)
Tequila
SG Team

Postby /dev/random » Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:45 pm

I can compile the dedicated server from your backport, but the client misses a few files in /sys and /sdl.
I tried to copy them from ioQuake, but that only messed things up for me (different revisions).

The server seems to run fine, I can connect and bots work asewell. Haven't done long-term-testing yet.
/dev/random
Smokin' Amigo!

Postby Tequila » Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:04 pm

Thank you for this try,
can you open a thread in this forum with all the informations you can provide or just continue that thread ? We need the make output with the errors and a short description of your environment.
Maybe the missing files can just be headers from your system which are not installed.
8)
Tequila
SG Team

Postby /dev/random » Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:54 pm

Unfortunately my system language is German. Is there any way to get the compiler messages in English without much trouble?

gcc 4.2, libsdl1.2-dev. Ask for more information. I'm not a pro when it comes to compiling.

Building smokinguns in build/release-linux-i386:
PLATFORM: linux
ARCH: i386
VERSION: 1.1_SVN125
COMPILE_PLATFORM: linux
COMPILE_ARCH: i386

CFLAGS:
-MMD
-Wall
-fno-strict-aliasing
-Wimplicit
-Wstrict-prototypes
-pipe
-DUSE_ICON
-I/usr/include/SDL
-D_GNU_SOURCE=1
-D_REENTRANT
-DUSE_OPENAL
-DUSE_CURL
-DUSE_CURL_DLOPEN
-Icode/SDL12/include
-m32
-DUSE_MUMBLE
-DUSE_VOIP
-DFLOATING_POINT
-DUSE_ALLOCA
-Icode/libspeex/include
-DUSE_LOCAL_HEADERS
-DSTANDALONE
-DSMOKINGUNS
-DPRODUCT_VERSION="1.1_SVN125"
-DNDEBUG
-O3
-march=i586
-fomit-frame-pointer
-ffast-math
-funroll-loops
-falign-loops=2
-falign-jumps=2
-falign-functions=2
-fstrength-reduce

DED_CC code/null/null_input.c
DED_CC code/null/null_snddma.c
make[2]: *** Keine Regel vorhanden, um das Target »build/release-linux-i386/ded/con_log.o«,
benötigt von »build/release-linux-i386/smokinguns_dedicated.i386«, zu erstellen. Schluss.

Copied con_log.c and other files from ioQuake into /sys, which doesn't exist in the SG backport at all.

In Datei, eingefügt von code/client/client.h:27,
von code/client/cl_cgame.c:25:
code/client/../renderer/tr_public.h:26:22: Fehler: tr_types.h: No such file or directory

Again copied that file from ioQuake.

make[2]: *** Keine Regel vorhanden, um das Target »build/release-linux-i386/client/sdl_gamma.o«,
benötigt von »build/release-linux-i386/smokinguns.i386«, zu erstellen. Schluss.

Created /sdl and copied that file and few others.

LD build/release-linux-i386/smokinguns.i386
build/release-linux-i386/client/sys_main.o: In function `Sys_In_Restart_f':
sys_main.c:(.text+0x511): undefined reference to `IN_Restart'

From then on things went mad, since I copied too many files from ioQuake, which had different revisitions than SG.

I'm not quite certain about these SDL files. I was able to compile World of Padman without any troubles, so I should already have the needed headers etc..

By the way, make clean fails, since it wants to wipe out /setup, which doesn't exist.

Sorry for this long post, but I doubt that using a NoPaste-Service would have been useful in this case.

Edit: Server was running about 6 hours today, with bots and even people connecting and playing on it. No strange messages or crashes.
/dev/random
Smokin' Amigo!

Postby Pyrite » Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:36 pm

Hi Téquila, thanks for your hard work. I'm in the process of setting up this branch on my PowerPC server, will report back with how it goes!
Pyrite
Pistolero

Postby Pyrite » Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:03 am

Replying to myself here: the current version (checked out at 21:30ish GMT, version 1.1_SVN125) doesn't compile for me, on x86 or PowerPC. Here's the error:
make[2]: *** No rule to make target `build/release-linux-ppc/ded/con_log.o', needed by `build/release-linux-ppc/smokinguns_dedicated.ppc'.  Stop.

The error's the same on x86, only with each "ppc" replaced by "x86". I'm guessing it's the same as /dev/random's error, only in English!

As a side note (again related to what /dev/random said), the first message make gives is
make: sdl-config: Command not found

The sdl-config binary is part of libsdl-dev, but on Ubuntu installing that package drags in about 40MB of dependencies, including X11 stuff, which makes it less than ideal for a headless server. Is SDL an essential part of the build process? Is it required for the server binary, or client side only? I'm quite happy to install libsdl-dev on gaming machines, but not on the server because of the unnecessary extra stuff it brings with it.
Pyrite
Pistolero

Postby Tequila » Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:33 pm

Thanks /dev/random & pyrite to point me to that problems ;)
I was tired during the import and with a very slow wifi connection. Now I think I have fixed any problem: my svn client didn't commit important files...

Now I just committed the files in r126 & r127. With r127, you should really have less problems to build.

Btw I can comment few things about your questions:
@/dev/random: try to "export LANG=C" before doing your make, so you should have error messages in english. Also make sure to have a clean checkout from the last r127 update, as the missing files (the ones you took from ioQ3 sources) was still not committed (my fault :|)...
About the failing "make clean", it tries to clean /misc/setup which is still not present. I will fix that as setup folder will be committed later with smokinguns updates.
Server was running about 6 hours today, with bots and even people connecting and playing on it. No strange messages or crashes.

Good to ear, thanks ;)
What is its name ?

@pyrite: good to know someone is trying ppc build ;)
/code/sdl folder with SDL was missing... sorry :cry:
Now you can try r127 so you don't have to install sdl development package. Btw effectively you don't need SDL for the dedicated server. Also if you just want to build the dedicated binary, you can edit "Makefile.local" and change "BUILD_CLIENT = 1" to "BUILD_CLIENT = 0". I will update it to permit you to just do "make BUILD_CLIENT=0" and have only the dedicated server built.

Thanks again cowboys, we always need new fast gunners like you
8)

Edited:
I just fixed Makefiles in r128:
1. building clean just avoid still unavailable misc/setup build
2. to just build the dedicated, you have to avoid building client: make BUILD_CLIENT=0
3. to just build the client: make BUILD_SERVER=0
Tequila
SG Team

Next

Return to Code

Show Sidebar
Show Sidebar

User Control Panel