With cordite in the air, splintered steel, shell casings and powder burns, there’s only one explanation...
For all you mappers out there!

Moderators: Joe Kari, Pardner, TheDoctor, Breli

Trapland

Postby Black Jack Ketchum » Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:29 pm

Hello, i have started to fiddle white some mapping, but i have run in to some compilation problems. When i try to compile the map i have started on (work name "Trapland") nothing happens, well the compiler starts but almost at once stops and closes, and the last line says "coulden´t read trapland.pcx"

Screenshot
The REAL Blackjack Ketchum
\/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Jack_Ketchum

[R.I.P =Cowboys From Hell= Clan]
Black Jack Ketchum
Quick Draw

Postby Breli » Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:39 pm

Hi,

I never had that before. Additionally, the extension is strange. At least I am not aware of any intermediate file *.pcx which might be generated by Q3Map2. Are you using Q3Map2Toolz or a batch file to start compilation?

Are you sure you configured Q3Map2Toolz correctly? Please post a screen and or the bat file ...

Breli
SG name: =SG= BRELI

Harmonica: Did you bring a horse?
Gunmen: Looks like we are short on one horse!
Harmonica: No. You brought two too many.
Breli
SG Team

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:40 pm

Make sure you have EasyGen configured correctly & that it is saving the .pcx file to C:\Program Files\Smokin' Guns\smokinguns. If that's correct, try exporting the .map again in EasyGen.
Last edited by ReD NeCKersoN on Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Postby L3th4l » Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:44 pm

Looks like you used easygen? Your console says it can't find trapland.shader.
You need to add "trapland" without the quotes to your shaderlist.txt and make sure trapland.shader is in the scripts folder.

@breli. The .pcx file is generated by Easygen. It is a alpha map file for texture blending :wink:
Last edited by L3th4l on Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
L3th4l
Smokin' Amigo!

Postby L3th4l » Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:21 pm

Breli wrote:Ahhh, thanks for the headsup. Looks like Breli isn't up to speed with everything. Again.

:lol: ... I am getting old :roll:

EDIT by ReD: I mistakenly deleted Breli's post that this quote references!
No problem, we will just have to kick ya in the butt a few times. That should get ya back up to speed.. :D :wink:
L3th4l
Smokin' Amigo!

Postby Black Jack Ketchum » Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:34 pm

And the cookie goes to.........Red :) just changes the path all the way to Smoki´n guns/smokinguns

Thanks fore all the help
\/

Black Jack Ketchum
Quick Draw

Postby Breli » Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:49 am

L3th4l wrote:No problem, we will just have to kick ya in the butt a few times. That should get ya back up to speed.. :D :wink:

Ah, that was the tingling feeling I had all of a sudden at my backside :lol: ...
SG name: =SG= BRELI

Harmonica: Did you bring a horse?
Gunmen: Looks like we are short on one horse!
Harmonica: No. You brought two too many.
Breli
SG Team

Postby Black Jack Ketchum » Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:45 pm

New problem (N00bish youser :D )

How do i add/make appear the textures that i created whit EsyGen in Gtk radiant, or is their some other clever way to now where in the map i are, or placing a brush
\/

Black Jack Ketchum
Quick Draw

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:15 pm

Black Jack Ketchum wrote:How do i add/make appear the textures that i created whit EsyGen in Gtk radiant

Yes that is very annoying. I'll investigate tonight & see if there's anything that can be done.
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:20 am

Doesn't look like we can do anything about this. :(
Lethal tried to contact the author of EasyGen to see if he'd share the source, but the email address is no good now.
However, a mapper COULD hack the .map file with a text editor & alter the shader to achieve what you're asking about ...in theory. Sounds like a lot of extra work though.

EDIT: There is something else you could do though. Turn everything to caulk & then retexture your surfaces in radiant. If you still want texture blending, it can be done. But it takes time.
Picture file
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Postby Joe Kari » Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:13 am

The terrain/terrain2 texture is probably used by q3map2 at compile time, so changing this texture to a more user-friendly one will alter the result. That's the way works indexed terrain. However, if you don't care about indexed terrain feature, if you only care about the geometry, you can re-texture all by yourself. And remove all keys related to indexed terrain in your entity (terrain are func_group entities). Easygen add some key to the worldspawn too.

For intance, I only use easygen for exporting geometry, so I save my work made with easygen without skybox or info_player entity. Then, I open my map in Radiant and import easygen stuff as a "prefab".
Joe Kari
SG Team

Postby Black Jack Ketchum » Mon Mar 30, 2009 2:32 pm

Hello, got a couple of questions! :)

First, is it possible to make smaller brushes than 8 x 8 (One square) whiteout scaling i down? As you can see in the links the door frame and some other stuff looks a bit blocky.

Pic 1
Pic2

Second, How do i create the lightning. i guess to right clicking the wireframe window and select Light and crank the value up to 100 000 isn't the way to go!?

Edit: a third Question: If i want to create my own textures, is it only to create a .jpg and ad to the SG textures map? (mind my English)
\/

Black Jack Ketchum
Quick Draw

Postby Pardner » Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:20 pm

1) you can make smaller brushes by changing the grid size. the hot keys are you number keys:
1=1x1
2=2x2
3=4x4
4=8x8
etc

2) Do you want to make lightening flashes? I am not sure how to make a good lightning effect. :| You could create a new shader that has a white square wave section, but that wont add light to your map.

3)If you want you own textures, you can just create a new directory in */Smokin' Guns/smokinguns/textures . You can mae this what ever you want. If you want your own shader file to go with those new textures, you can create a new shader file in */Smokin' Guns/smokinguns/scripts.... and name it what every you want.
Pardner
SG Team

Postby Black Jack Ketchum » Tue Mar 31, 2009 5:45 pm

Tanks for answer.

Pardner wrote:2) Do you want to make lightening flashes? I am not sure how to make a good lightning effect. :| You could create a new shader that has a white square wave section, but that wont add light to your map.

Ops :oops: , I somehow lost my map roof brush (and therefor the shader that go whit it) whiteout knowing it, but thanks anyway :)
\/

Black Jack Ketchum
Quick Draw

Postby Black Jack Ketchum » Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:02 pm

Howdy, i am getting the hang of things now an tough i would share the work so far :) (ignore the "walls" around some of the roads, its only so i can keep track of things in Gtkradiant)

\/

Black Jack Ketchum
Quick Draw

Next

Return to Level Editing

Show Sidebar
Show Sidebar

User Control Panel