With cordite in the air, splintered steel, shell casings and powder burns, there’s only one explanation...
Post feedback & meet new friends. General SG discussion.

Moderators: Pardner, TheDoctor

greyscale, demo recording and video

Postby Tequila » Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:07 am

8O
Just leaned how to record demo and directly create AVI video with the beta engine. Thanks to the merge with ioQuake sources, we have now some amazing stuff...

Here is what I've done:
    prepare the bindings in the console: \bind F6 "record demo" ; bind F7 "stoprecord"
    connect to an online server and just spectate to look against good action
    press F6 to record
    look around
    press F7 to stop the record
    open again the console to set video bindings: \bind F8 "video demo" ; bind F9 "stop video"
    start the recorded demo on the console: \demo demo
    look what you recorded and when you want press F8 to record the AVI, then press F9 to stop the AVI record
    Go in your game folder and check the result...
Look at my first demo using the "r_greyScale" cvar to render the demo in grey scale... The funny thing is I also recorded the third arm bug at the same time !

The video here has a poor quality as I downgrade it for web hosting... I really need to learn how to use youtube or moddb :P

EDIT: But here is the HQ one I finally uploaded to Youtube:
Last edited by Tequila on Fri Apr 17, 2009 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tequila
SG Team

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Thu Apr 16, 2009 4:39 am

Now you're speaking my language! Maybe soon we'll begin to see new films from the fans. 8)
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Postby Tequila » Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:01 am

:D
And yes you'll see new stuff from the fan I am... just starting (and I started to learn how to use youtube to give you better quality :P)

Here another example to demonstrate the anaglyph rendering.
Tequila
SG Team

Postby ChainLightnin' » Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:51 pm

I just realized you can still buy 3d glasses. All kinds! 8O Would this be the "red/blue-green" or the "red/green", etc.?
Well...Mr. Chain Blue Lightnin' hisself..heh, heh!
ChainLightnin'
Gunslinger

Postby Tequila » Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:47 pm

I think this one is the red/blue, but you can have the choice between 7 kinds of anaglyph system. Let me check I will enumerate that for you to choose your glasses :P
Tequila
SG Team

Re: greyscale, demo recording and video

Postby Tequila » Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:48 pm

Tequila wrote:8O
The funny thing is I also recorded the third arm bug at the same time !

I just noticed one thing on that third arm bug, it disappeared only when the "WP_ANIM_IDLE" animation was triggered... You can see also no other weapon animation was activated until that one. I would like to know if Pablo saw by himself that third arm bug or it was only my own view... But why did I not ask to Pablo ? :D
Do we have other video of that bug ?
Tequila
SG Team

Postby Redwing » Sun Apr 19, 2009 1:10 am

So this cannot be done in the regular version? Reason I'm asking is because I have a lot of demo footage that i want to make viewable to the community and I don't know how :( I've tried /avidemo "fps" and all, but it's too slow and takes up too much file space... It's a real bummer because I spent a lot of time recording those demos...
DeviantArt|Music
Jesus wrote:Blessed are the Peacemakers, for they will be called the sons of God
Redwing
Shootist

Postby Pardner » Sun Apr 19, 2009 2:20 am

you can use Fraps or other screen recording software to capture the demos.

Also, there is a way to capture your demos to individual .tga or .jpg files and then compile them into a video. Here is a tutorial on how this is accomplished.

Pardner
SG Team

Postby Redwing » Sun Apr 19, 2009 3:11 am

Pardner wrote:you can use Fraps or other screen recording software to capture the demos.

Also, there is a way to capture your demos to individual .tga or .jpg files and then compile them into a video. Here is a tutorial on how this is accomplished.

I'd already tried the .tga way-- like I said, took up way too much memory. I'm trying to record at least 30 minutes of video here and I got over 800 .tga screenshots for only a minute! And, isn't Fraps just shareware-- I had thought it wouldn't let me record everything and/or have a watermark.
DeviantArt|Music
Jesus wrote:Blessed are the Peacemakers, for they will be called the sons of God
Redwing
Shootist

Postby Pardner » Sun Apr 19, 2009 3:23 am

Free Fraps will have a watermark :(
Pardner
SG Team

Postby Tequila » Sun Apr 19, 2009 6:47 pm

Redwing wrote:...

I'm not sure, but ioQuake engine should also run perfectly to replay demos. The only thing you have to do is to add "+set fs_game smokinguns" from the command line.

Otherwise, we will soon provide the 1.1 engine for beta-testing. It will be perfect to replay you old demos ;)

So you can try the same then me ;)

ChainLightnin' wrote:Would this be the "red/blue-green" or the "red/green", etc.?

Check that ;)
ioQuake README file wrote:
    r_greyscale:
  • render black and white images
    r_stereoEnabled:
  • enable stereo rendering for techniques like shutter glasses (untested)
    r_anaglyphMode:
  • Enable rendering of anaglyph images
  • red-cyan glasses: 1
  • red-blue: 2
  • red-green: 3
    To swap the colors for left and right eye just add 3 to the value for the wanted color combination. For red-blue and red-green you probably want to enable r_greyscale

By the way, don't test "r_stereoEnabled" unless you have the "shutter glasses" or the renderer can become unable to start...
Tequila
SG Team

Postby Redwing » Sun Apr 19, 2009 7:01 pm

Tequila wrote:
Redwing wrote:...

I'm not sure, but ioQuake engine should also run perfectly to replay demos. The only thing you have to do is to add "+set fs_game smokinguns" from the command line.

Otherwise, we will soon provide the 1.1 engine for beta-testing. It will be perfect to replay you old demos ;)

Do you need any other software besides the ioQuake engine? It looks like I would also need Quake3 Arena to run it... I honestly don't know how these things work. I might just wait for your Beta.

Edit: downloaded ioQuake3 engine and I'm copying everything from smokin'guns folder to that one (the files which aren't already there)... still have no idea what I'm doing here but I'll see if I can get it to at least record some demos... Smokin' Guns remains unaltered so if this doesn't work my copy and demos should still be safe at least.

Edit 2: nah, nothing's working. Shoulda known it wouldn't be that easy. I'll check your thread on it.
DeviantArt|Music
Redwing
Shootist

Postby Tequila » Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:07 am

Yes I answered your question in the ioQuake3 backport thread. It seems ioquake3.exe didn't search in your "smokinguns" folder so you have to help it... not just start the ioquake.exe program.
8)
Tequila
SG Team

Postby Biondo » Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:52 am

Could anyone suggest to me which configurations should I choose to get the best visual rendering while recording a demo? I mean, which values to set for cg_trueLightning, r_dlightBacks, r_dynamiclight, r_vertexLight and so on ...

Thanks.
Biondo
SG Website Designer

Postby TheDoctor » Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:18 pm

Biondo wrote:Could anyone suggest to me which configurations should I choose to get the best visual rendering while recording a demo?

I suggest you record a demo using your usual settings. Then thereafter, you can replay and render the demo in the highest possible graphics settings. To this end, I suggest you to use a vanilla (unchanged) profil and then increase the graphics settings via menu.

Because r_ext_multisample "2" wouldn't work for me, for the panorama shots, I doubled or even tripled the resolution to archive some manual anti-alias effect by scaling the image down. In the context of video however, this may be too much of a hazzle, since it would lead to an enormous amount of data and/or re-encoding of the video.
TheDoctor
Smokin' Amigo!

Next

Return to Saloon

Show Sidebar
Show Sidebar

User Control Panel