With cordite in the air, splintered steel, shell casings and powder burns, there’s only one explanation...
Post feedback & meet new friends. General SG discussion.

Moderators: Pardner, TheDoctor

q3config moved in 1.1

Postby dbozan99 » Fri Oct 09, 2009 8:58 pm

I'm not sure if this was intentional, but the q3config for SG 1.1 seems to have moved to:

Code: Select all
C:\Documents and Settings\*Current Login Name*\Application Data\Quake3\smokinguns

I would rather it be back in my SG directory like it should be!
dbozan99
Pistolero

Postby Lucky Bro » Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:08 pm

To be honest, I didn't like it at the first time too. I don't like when game spreads itself on my PC while I'm sure it can live in one dir, so I don't have to clean up after it.
Still it is the way of ioQuake3 engine (the main reason is to let different Windows users to have their configs separate from each other). QLive as well as many other Q3 based games are using such approach as well. So, I'm kinda used to it already. And it allows me to keep my base directory clean without configuration files.
Still you always have option to alternate this directory at the command line. But I wouldn't recommend you to do it. The simple way you use the less troubles you'll get later.
"You should know that the lies won't hide your flaws/No sense in hiding all of yours/You gave up on your dreams along the way" (c) "Fake it" by Seether
P.S. English isn't my native language.
Lucky Bro
Gunslinger

Postby iap » Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:14 pm

By the way, this should be very clear to new users. Personally, all my games are portable, including this, so making the game "not portable" is a big iisue for me.

Isn't there a config for that?
I can even live with a specific command line argument.
iap
Pistolero

Postby Pardner » Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:24 pm

dbozan99, is this on Vista? The reason I ask is because maybe it will be different on XP and other os's.

Pardner
SG Team

Postby dbozan99 » Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:36 pm

I'm on XP.
dbozan99
Pistolero

Postby Tequila » Sat Oct 10, 2009 12:15 am

iap wrote:By the way, this should be very clear to new users. Personally, all my games are portable, including this, so making the game "not portable" is a big iisue for me.

Isn't there a config for that?
I can even live with a specific command line argument.
Try "+set fs_homepath=." on the command-line, I think it should work but sorry I don't have any windows to test it :P
Tequila
SG Team

Postby /dev/random » Sat Oct 10, 2009 1:31 pm

This is actually how applications should behave.
The installation files go into some folder like %PROGRAM FILES%, which can only be modified by the admin.
The configuration then goes into a user-specific folder, where the user has write-access to.
Additionally, shared configuration will go into a folder where everyone has read and write access.

Smokin' Guns is still portable, as it will also look inside fs_basepath and the folder where the engine is located. Or you may set fs_homepath, like tequila suggested.
/dev/random
Smokin' Amigo!

Postby Lucky Bro » Sat Oct 10, 2009 5:50 pm

/dev/random wrote:This is actually how applications should behave.
The installation files go into some folder like %PROGRAM FILES%, which can only be modified by the admin.
The configuration then goes into a user-specific folder, where the user has write-access to.
Additionally, shared configuration will go into a folder where everyone has read and write access.

Who did say you that?
As far as I know that is one of approaches. The approach application should choose is depend on the game goals/needs.
And concerning current stage of SG/SG1.1 - I would recommend to keep it portable in a single folder for windows platform.

/dev/random wrote:Smokin' Guns is still portable, as it will also look inside fs_basepath and the folder where the engine is located. Or you may set fs_homepath, like tequila suggested.

Would like to hear what you'll say about of such portability when some clerk will take a copy of SG1.1 folder, copy it to his computer at his job, play for a while and then remove the folder. And then, after some time there will be the guy (boss, admin) who'll discover the game's configuration folders. I would like to hear your explanation about SG1.1 portability then. Not to mention that clerk will have to reconfigure the game if he'll just copy the folder.
"You should know that the lies won't hide your flaws/No sense in hiding all of yours/You gave up on your dreams along the way" (c) "Fake it" by Seether
Lucky Bro
Gunslinger

Postby /dev/random » Sat Oct 10, 2009 7:34 pm

You might say that this is one approach, I say that it is the best one.
Usually, you don't want a user to modify the installation of a program, this task should be left to the admin. The admin on the other hand does not need to know how a certain user configured his software, this is the users's task.
Shared files need to be accessible by many people, they might even be located on a network-share.
That's why one should organize the program's files like I said before.

I don't quite get your second statement. Clerks are usually not supposed to play at work, regardless whether their games are portable or not.
What is more, the clerk will most likely need a seperate new config anyways, since his home-computer would have different hardware. And he does not need to reconfigure the game, since ioQuake will use a config present in the engine's folder.
/dev/random
Smokin' Amigo!

Postby Lucky Bro » Sat Oct 10, 2009 8:15 pm

What I'm saying - this is an approach. That is no rule "should be used for an application". That is what you would like/recommend to use.
And as I said - I would recommend for SG to use simple one portable folder thing. The reason is obvious - portability since the game is very small and it is convenient for small games to be in one folder without touching anything outside. The only reason to use the separate folder for configs at the moment is to allow different Windows users to have own configs (which is in my opinion is not the case for SG).

The point is that SG1.1 game is not portable since it is not stored in single place.
Clerk is just an example to underline that the game touches things outside its main folder which may cause troubles if user won't be aware about it (and he won't be if you say that game is portable).
Lucky Bro
Gunslinger

Postby /dev/random » Sat Oct 10, 2009 9:19 pm

Now what's all the fuzz about? Smokin' Guns is still portable, even in v1.1, if you use the correct options. Basta.
/dev/random
Smokin' Amigo!

Return to Saloon

Show Sidebar
Show Sidebar

User Control Panel