With cordite in the air, splintered steel, shell casings and powder burns, there’s only one explanation...
For all you mappers out there!

Moderators: Joe Kari, Pardner, TheDoctor, Breli

Macho's questions

Postby MachoBastard » Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:11 am

Hiya cowboys, got everythin workin right now, except that the ASE models have no collisions at all, was wondering if ive to add 'em manually as brushes and what texture should i use? player clip? full clip? couldnt find anythin about collisions on the tutorials, also are always light setups intensity value that high? coz i added a light for a medium sized room and i had to set the intensity value to 8000 in order to get a medium lighted up room. :|
MachoBastard
SG Contributor

Postby Pardner » Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:00 am

Glad you got everything working! Here is a quick tutorial that Joe Kari posted on out old forums about adding clipping to the models:
viewtopic.php?t=1307

For the lighting, you need to create a light entity. 20 should be for a small room, 50 for a medium room, and 100 for a large room. You can also add _minlight to the world spawn, but this removes the darkness of shadows (good and bad)
Pardner
SG Team

Postby Breli » Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:10 am

Hi,

You have to clip ase models manually. I use weapon clip most of the time. Don't be overly fussy or you might lose some FPS gains from the reduced structural complexity when using models.

Concerning the lighting: we use _minlight with a value of 10-15 in most of the maps. You can add additional spotlights for ambience ...

Cheers

Breli
SG name: =SG= BRELI

Harmonica: Did you bring a horse?
Gunmen: Looks like we are short on one horse!
Harmonica: No. You brought two too many.
Breli
SG Team

Postby Pardner » Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:21 am

Breli wrote:You have to clip ase models manually. I use weapon clip most of the time. Don't be overly fussy or you might lose some FPS gains from the reduced structural complexity when using models.

This is actually what I do..... only because I have yet to try Joe's hand tutorial :roll:
Pardner
SG Team

Postby MachoBastard » Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:27 am

Okies... _minlight, where should i add that? is it a light param?, btw is it normal that u get lots of errors when compiling and missing textures but in the end they work normaly?.. i get the missing water, fullclip missing textures, but it all works in game so far. :?
MachoBastard
SG Contributor

Postby Pardner » Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:42 am

i think some of our shaders do not have a editor image and the compiler likes to complain about it.

to add the _minlight:
  1. select a worldspawn entity (any brush you have created that isnt tied to another entity)
  2. press "n" to bring up the entity window
  3. add _minlight to the "key" field
  4. add 20 to the "value field
  5. press enter and compile
Pardner
SG Team

Postby MachoBastard » Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:43 am

oh, forgot, i also got some weird error, placed a 20usd bag in some spot, but it appears kinda far away from it.. and the compiler asks for a .prt portal file.
MachoBastard
SG Contributor

Postby Pardner » Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:01 am

MachoBastard wrote:placed a 20usd bag in some spot, but it appears kinda far away from it..

What you might have done was moved the money entity and then hit undo. Entity dont like to be "undone" their origin gets wacked. Just remake the money entity in the correct place and try it again.

MachoBastard wrote:the compiler asks for a .prt portal file.

If the compiler cannot find the .prt file, that means the BSB did not comoile correctly (I think) you can pause in between stages of you compile. check to see if you get any errors in our BSP compile (first stage)
Pardner
SG Team

Postby MachoBastard » Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:47 pm

Oh, ok, thanks for the tip, damn, those entities need to be better treated than my gf lol, btw, i found some other annoying problem, the spot where you put the pickups or weapons etc, need to be really wide, or big, :? otherwise it wont show up ingame, is there any way to make pickups to ignore that? so i can put em in narrow places?.
MachoBastard
SG Contributor

Postby Pardner » Tue Feb 17, 2009 6:12 pm

MachoBastard wrote:Oh, ok, thanks for the tip, damn, those entities need to be better treated than my gf lol, btw, i found some other annoying problem, the spot where you put the pickups or weapons etc, need to be really wide, or big, :? otherwise it wont show up ingame, is there any way to make pickups to ignore that? so i can put em in narrow places?.

I noticed this too. I dont know if the compiler checks the entity size before creating the entity. When I have time I was going to change the size of the entity box in .def file. This may allow pickup entities to spawn in tight places.
Pardner
SG Team

Postby Joe Kari » Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:26 pm

About collision:
Yes, you can fine-tune the collision by adding my magic-shader (in my little tutorial) into your model, only surfaces that have this shaders will be physical.
Depending on the model form, it is sometime better to manually re-clip model in Radiant with brushes (if you need something rather basic), or sometime you can use my special shader if you want something smoother that could be hard to do with brushes.
Take in mind that "weapon_clip" stop all shoot (and players too), while my shader "wood_clip" act just like a wood texture: bullet can pass through ;) (dealing less damage).
By the way you can use my shader in both situation (directly part of the model, or added in radiant like a standard brushes).
The path is textures/joekari_q3map/wood_clip, unfortunately, the editor image is not present in the smokin'guns package (so in Radiant, you will have a "shader image missing" texture), but it still work.

About light:
Well, I'm the only one defender of ambient light in the team ;)
If you are curious, compile your map removing "_minlight" key, and adding instead a "_ambient" key in the worldspawn, "8" is a good value.
What's the difference ? Minlight ensure the amount of light is at least equal to a value, if not it fix it to that value. Ambient add a constant value to the amount of light everywhere regardless of the initial amount.
Minlight create flat (leveled) light where there isn't enough light. Ambient does not. Changing ambient's value affect the whole map (that's why many mapper don't like it), while changing minlight's value affect only place where there is not enough light.

About size of the money (and other) pickup:
That's a little annoying, but keep in mind that the bounding box of item are larger because it's more easy for player to grab them. Have you noticed that you get money without touching it ? I agree this is boring in many case, maybe one day I will change one or two things in the game code...
@ Pardner: it is useless to change the entity definition, q3map2 doesn't care about that. I just think the game doesn't want to spawn entity that are inside (or intersecting) map geometry.
Joe Kari
SG Team

Postby MachoBastard » Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:38 am

Oh, ic, i kinda dont understand how to setup or apply the wood_clip collision, but sounds lots better than brushes with weapon clip, also ill try out the _ambient param due _minlight its shadow-eating and itll be great to spawn pickups in narrow places so i can detail more on shelfs and stuff, i kinda faced a weird error that i havent been able to fix, was making some mountains around my map and i think i overdid a bit my brushes with vertex editing in complexity and size, so when i reloaded the map those brushes were gone in GTKR, but still there in-game, cant see em in anyway in GTKR, so i cant delete em, how can i fix that? :?
MachoBastard
SG Contributor

Postby Breli » Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:25 am

MachoBastard wrote:i kinda faced a weird error that i havent been able to fix, was making some mountains around my map and i think i overdid a bit my brushes with vertex editing in complexity and size, so when i reloaded the map those brushes were gone in GTKR, but still there in-game, cant see em in anyway in GTKR, so i cant delete em, how can i fix that? :?

Try brush-cleanup (the plugin) if you have that (it is only included in 1.4 AFAIK). If that doesn't help: try to identify the brush number and hack the map-file manually: open it in a txt-editor and identify the troublemaker, delete the brush definition :? somtimes this is the only solution
SG name: =SG= BRELI

Harmonica: Did you bring a horse?
Gunmen: Looks like we are short on one horse!
Harmonica: No. You brought two too many.
Breli
SG Team

Postby MachoBastard » Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:03 pm

I see, fortunately ive not much of my map completed, so i just made a new one and only copied the brushes and entities y wanted to stay, about some models, ive seen some models in-game that i havent been able to locate in the ASE models included in your mapping package :| , i assume theres only a few in the package as examples, can i unpack all the models in the .pk3 files and use em in GTKR without trouble? or theres somethin i need to know before unpacking?
MachoBastard
SG Contributor

Postby MachoBastard » Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:35 pm

Hi again to all the horse riders, im about to finish my first map on GTKR, but now everytime i compile it eats my CPU for about 15~20 mins :?
so i set most of the brushes to static+_cs, but i was wondering, what cons it has? or where i really shouldnt use the static models? :|
MachoBastard
SG Contributor

Next

Return to Level Editing

Show Sidebar
Show Sidebar

User Control Panel