With cordite in the air, splintered steel, shell casings and powder burns, there’s only one explanation...
For all you mappers out there!

Moderators: Joe Kari, Pardner, TheDoctor, Breli

Postby Pardner » Sun Nov 22, 2009 6:37 pm

Once you are finished editing the map in Radiant you will need to compile it:
viewtopic.php?t=1491#compile

There are two ways:
1) Q3Map2Toolz
2) Windows batch files

Both ways are covered in the tutorial. Q3Map2Toolz is a nice front end user interface to the compiler, while using batch files calls the compiler directly. Both call the same compiler, and both accomplish the same thing.
The compiler you need to use should be in "*/Smokin' Guns/smokinguns/compiler/q3map2.exe" Note: you cannot click on the q3map2.exe and expect it to compile your maps. You must use either Q3Map2Toolz or a batch file. The tutorial I posted a link to shows you how to write a batch file (the way I prefer) as well as show you how to set up and use Q3Map2Toolz (The way Red_NeCKersoN prefers).
Pardner
SG Team

Postby Pardner » Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:39 pm

Unfortunately, there is no way for me to tell you how to map. Mapping is like learning to walk, I can help you out, but you have to do it your self. Another sad point, they have pulled Bubba's arena. I found that web.archive.org has an old copy of Babba's site, so you may be in luck!
Link
Take a look around that website and please please please open the included "dm_test1.map". That map has every entity you will need for SG mapping. Also take a look around the tutorials we have written:
viewforum.php?f=32

especially this one:
viewtopic.php?t=1520
Pardner
SG Team

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Wed Nov 25, 2009 10:43 pm

Pardner wrote:please please please open the included "dm_test1.map". That map has every entity you will need for SG mapping. Also take a look around the tutorials we have written:
viewforum.php?f=32
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Postby Breli » Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:38 pm

Haris2201 wrote:Can you say me how big I must make my map?
Please tell me how big is alamo for example.
Or other maps ( I know all SG-maps )

Hi,

My advice is to start small. Very small. Just build a single house\tower\area you have in mind. Once you have that up and running you can start to add additional areas or structures.

Cheers

Breli
SG name: =SG= BRELI

Harmonica: Did you bring a horse?
Gunmen: Looks like we are short on one horse!
Harmonica: No. You brought two too many.
Breli
SG Team

Postby Pardner » Thu Nov 26, 2009 12:49 am

Haris2201 wrote:Can you say me how big I must make my map?

Make your map as big as you need it to be (yea another vague answer). Basically start with a building. then make a skybox around that first building. Compile see how it looks. Spend some time on that one, first building. Make everything for the building: stairs, windows, funiture, build a safe, add money, add weapons, add doors, everything you can think of. I don't know of anybody who's first map was a great success.... consider this your "Hello World" map.

For judging how big to make your doors and buildings there are to really good ways to do it:
  1. The "info_player_start" is (about) the same size as a player model. You can use this to judge the size of things in the editor. You also need the "info_player_start" in your map you make it compile and run.
  2. Open "dm_test1.map" and look how big things are there. You can copy things like doors out of the test map and past them into your map. One thing I like to do is once I get a good ceiling to floor size, I will copy/paste it from building to building. That way all my buildings keep the same aspect ratio.

Haris2201 wrote:And how I can create a door in a room???
Or a window.
Bubba's Arena link don't shows all pictures...

Here is the tutorial on rotating doors:
viewtopic.php?t=1520#doors

And it sounds like you found Bubba's tutorial, but just in case:
Link1
Link2
Link3
Link4

Note: Only use CG Subtract if you know what you are doing. This is where Bubba and I do not agree. I feel it is far more important to learn how to create and re-size brushes to fit your need. CG Subtract completely ruined my first map.
Pardner
SG Team

Postby Breli » Thu Nov 26, 2009 7:47 pm

Hi,

configuring our q3map2 to work properly from radiant isn't easy and involves some work: Radiant automation

My advice is to start with q3maptoolz. Please refer to the tutorials how to set that up.

cheers

Breli

Breli
SG Team

Postby Breli » Fri Nov 27, 2009 8:41 pm

Hi,

There a two different versions of q3map2:
- The "default" version that comes with Radiant (it is included in the Radiant download)
- Our version that has been altered and supports SG specific entities. This version is included in our mapping package.

You need to compile the maps with our version. Otherwise some things might not work.

As described above, there are basically three options for the compilation:
(1) setting up Radiant properly [forget about this option for now]
(2) using q3maptoolz
(3) batch files.

I STRONGLY recommend that you use q3maptoolz simply because it is the preferred option for most mappers. So it is more likely\easy to find\give help in case of problems.

In case you want to use batch files, please refer to the end of this tutorial.

cheers

Breli

Breli
SG Team

Postby Breli » Sat Nov 28, 2009 2:09 pm

Hi,

You need these files only if you want to add bots to your testing.

aas files are created with bspc.exe. They are needed for bot support. bspc.exe comes with Radiant. I believe you can use it directly from Q3maptoolz. In case you can't, write a brief DOS batch file like this:

Code: Select all

"C:\...PATH TO YOUR BSPC!...\radiant\bspc.exe" -forcesidesvisible -optimize -bsp2aas "C:\...PATH TO YOUR MAP BSP FILE!...\dawnfort.bsp"

and run the *.bat file afterwards. or run bspc.exe from your commandline.

ai files are not strictly necessary. you can test your map without them. However, your bots will stand still in RTP and BR games since they don't have anything to roam to.

That'll do the trick 8)

All of this is quite confusing in the beginning but once you get the hang of it and a better understanding of the process it becomes your own flesh and blood :lol:

cheers

Breli

Breli
SG Team

Postby Pardner » Sat Nov 28, 2009 4:18 pm

Haris2201 wrote:I see only a black field and my team-bot!
Why I don't see any other things???

(And it says can't find spawnpoint)

You map is black because you didn't add any light entities. You need to either add "light" entities to the inside of your building(s) and / or add a skybox with a sky shader to the outside of your map.

It says can't find spawnpoint, because you need to add a info_player_start or as info_player_deathmatch entity to your map.
Pardner
SG Team

PreviousNext

Return to Level Editing

Show Sidebar
Show Sidebar

User Control Panel