With cordite in the air, splintered steel, shell casings and powder burns, there’s only one explanation...
Everything about Smokin' Guns releases

Moderators: torhu, Tequila

Number- / F1-F12 Keys not working correctly

Postby moRtem » Sat Jan 02, 2010 5:56 am

Since 1.1 it very often occurs, that SG doesn't notice that i pressed the numbers from 1 to 9 (and 0) on keyboard (the ones below the F-keys)

Very often means, that it basically almost always needs 5-10 tries until SG notices that anything was pressed.

Same occurs with the F-keys (F1 to F12), but there it occurs a lot less frequently.

In every other game and within windows itself those keys are working fine.

/quit
moRtem
Gunslinger

Postby dowoshek » Sat Jan 02, 2010 11:17 am

Actually, it happens to me in 1.0 too. Both numbers (binded to buy weapons) and F-keys (binded to change team action etc). For example: when i want to buy two weapons at start of the BR round I have to wait few seconds after buying the first one or switch weapon to make these bind-keys work. And if I want to change team I usually have to press it few times before it works.
dowoshek
Gunslinger

Postby Tequila » Sat Jan 02, 2010 11:35 am

Please read Submitting bug report and feature requests thread before reporting such problem. We are missing a lot of information if you really want we take time to understand your problem. I know moRtem you are using a different SDL.dll, did you try with other libraries ?
Tequila
SG Team

Postby moRtem » Sat Jan 02, 2010 12:13 pm

Tequila wrote:Please read Submitting bug report and feature requests thread before reporting such problem.

Thanks for pointing out - i remember to have read it when it was posted, but forgot about it in the meanwhile.

We are missing a lot of information if you really want we take time to understand your problem.

1) 1.1b3 on Windows Vista 32 Bit

2) see my first post

3) see my first post

4) won't help to understand the problem

I know moRtem you are using a different SDL.dll, did you try with other libraries ?

I am using the "original" SDL.dll again which is delivered with your 1.1b3-package.

/quit
moRtem
Gunslinger

Postby Tequila » Sun Jan 03, 2010 12:40 pm

One stuff is missing. Can you provide your q3config.cfg or at least the lines starting with "bind", and at least for the keys related to your problem ? And eventually the bind commands you're passing for your own setup if they exist ?

@dowoshek: I need the same stuffs.

Does any one else has the same kind of problems ?
Tequila
SG Team

Postby moRtem » Sun Jan 03, 2010 2:33 pm

Tequila wrote:Can you provide your q3config.cfg or at least the lines starting with "bind", and at least for the keys related to your problem ?

Here you are:

Code: Select all
bind 1 "say ^1Bye!"
bind 2 "say ^3Hi!"
bind 3 "say ^1|>> ^0S^1o^0rry"
bind 4 "say ^1|>> ^0N^1o^0P^1r^0oblem"
bind 5 "say ^1|>> ^0G^1ood^0L^1uck"
bind 6 "say ^3nice"

and

bind F1 "vote yes"
bind F2 "vote no"
bind F4 "stoprecord"
bind F12 "screenshotjpeg"

And eventually the bind commands you're passing for your own setup if they exist ?

don't get what you mean by this.

/quit
moRtem
Gunslinger

Postby Pardner » Sun Jan 03, 2010 4:58 pm

moRtem wrote:
bind 1 "say ^1Bye!"
bind 2 "say ^3Hi!"
bind 6 "say ^3nice"

Some servers have sv_floodprotect "1" when prevents you from speaking too often. Could this be why your chat binds don't work?

dowoshek wrote:Actually, it happens to me in 1.0 too. Both numbers (binded to buy weapons) and F-keys (binded to change team action etc). For example: when i want to buy two weapons at start of the BR round I have to wait few seconds after buying the first one or switch weapon to make these bind-keys work. And if I want to change team I usually have to press it few times before it works.

There is a timer on the buy items to prevent people from buying the same item twice by double clicking on the menu. Unfortunately, this makes buying weapons from binds a pain.
Aslo, you cannot switch teams for 10 or 5 seconds (cannot remember which). Could this be why your team binds don't work?

Pardner
SG Team

Postby moRtem » Sun Jan 03, 2010 5:08 pm

Pardner wrote:
moRtem wrote:
bind 1 "say ^1Bye!"
bind 2 "say ^3Hi!"
bind 6 "say ^3nice"

Some servers have sv_floodprotect "1" when prevents you from speaking too often. Could this be why your chat binds don't work?

Good idea, but i can say for sure, that this isn't the case here.

It even needs various tries when i didn't "say" something for minutes.

/quit
moRtem
Gunslinger

Postby dowoshek » Sun Jan 03, 2010 5:38 pm

WinXP SP3 with bindings like below:
bind 1 "buy weapon_schofield"
bind 2 "buy weapon_peacemaker"
bind 3 "buy weapon_shotgun"
bind 4 "buy weapon_sawedoff"
bind 5 "buy item_boiler_plate"
bind 6 "buy ammo_bullets"
bind 7 "buy ammo_cartridges"

bind x "buy weapon_dynamite"
bind z "buy weapon_molotov"

bind F8 "team red"
bind F9 "team blue"

Binds for x and z are also affected.

Pardner wrote:
dowoshek wrote:Actually, it happens to me in 1.0 too. Both numbers (binded to buy weapons) and F-keys (binded to change team action etc). For example: when i want to buy two weapons at start of the BR round I have to wait few seconds after buying the first one or switch weapon to make these bind-keys work. And if I want to change team I usually have to press it few times before it works.

There is a timer on the buy items to prevent people from buying the same item twice by double clicking on the menu. Unfortunately, this makes buying weapons from binds a pain.

So it's one of those "developer knows better what's good for you" features :lol: I can take that pain :wink:
Pardner wrote:Aslo, you cannot switch teams for 10 or 5 seconds (cannot remember which). Could this be why your team binds don't work?
I know about those time limits. But it happens also at the beginning of new map or simply when I want to change during match (balancing teams) - the first switch in at least few minutes. But, imho, this is really not a big problem at all... There are more annoying bugs for me, like during switching to akimbo mode in 1.1b3 (I described it some time ago).
dowoshek
Gunslinger

Postby Tequila » Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:52 pm

Can you make a test from the console and report your console output ?

Firstly, set in_keyboardDebug to 1.
Secondly, close the console, then hit one time each keys from 1 to 9, than 0, than from F1 to F12.
Thirdly, try again from key '1', but this time, hit as quickly as you can 3 times each keys.

After that, you can set back in_keyboardDebug to 0 and report your console output.
Tell us if you think the engine missed a key.

Thanks.
8)
Tequila
SG Team

Postby moRtem » Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:47 pm

[19:06] <moRtem> Tequila .. i just tested that in_keyboarddebug
[19:07] <moRtem> and every key-press gets recognized fine
[19:07] <moRtem> now i believe, that pardner's guess might be right -> floodprotect serverside
[19:08] <moRtem> but it wouldn't feel right for me, if all the "troubles" are caused by floodprotect
[19:08] <moRtem> is it possible, that there's a little bug in the floodprotect code ?
[19:09] <moRtem> like i said, even right after connecting i sometimes can't say "Hi" ... and it needs various tries until it works once
[19:09] <moRtem> "right after connecting" means a few seconds after i arrive on the server

/quit
moRtem
Gunslinger

Postby /dev/random » Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:30 am

Floodprotect ain't that strict, at least if the code has not been changed since the last time I've looked at it.
Described behavior sounds very much like packetloss.
/dev/random
Smokin' Amigo!

Postby Tequila » Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:36 am

Good point /dev/random
moRtem, did you set "cl_packetdup" to "0" ? If yes, try again setting it back to "1", its default.
Tequila
SG Team

Postby moRtem » Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:50 pm

/dev/random wrote:Described behavior sounds very much like packetloss.

that was my first thought too -- but i don't suffer packetloss on the servers i play

moRtem, did you set "cl_packetdup" to "0" ? If yes, try again setting it back to "1", its default.

cl_packetdup is default for me (set to "1")

/quit
moRtem
Gunslinger

Return to Release

Show Sidebar
Show Sidebar

User Control Panel