With cordite in the air, splintered steel, shell casings and powder burns, there’s only one explanation...
For all you mappers out there!

Moderators: Joe Kari, Pardner, TheDoctor, Breli

Postby ChainLightnin' » Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:59 pm

That is really nice! It has an historical quality, rather than like a "boom town". (A tiny bit of LOTR feeling!) :) Well done! As Red said, it does seem larger than it is; seems like it would handle a lot of players in close action.
Oh, and get well!
Well...Mr. Chain Blue Lightnin' hisself..heh, heh!
ChainLightnin'
Gunslinger

Postby steve » Mon Jul 05, 2010 2:54 am

Small update to a couple of areas.

Beta-version late next week (self-imposed time-frame now lol).

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
steve
Pistolero

Postby Mastix » Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:59 am

Your work is just breathtaking
Mastix
Drifter

Postby steve » Tue Jul 13, 2010 4:46 am

Beta coming Sunday.

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
steve
Pistolero

Postby Allied » Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:05 am

I can hardly believe it, that map is looking so awesome. Really amazing job, keep up the good work!
Allied
Quick Draw

Postby steve » Mon Jul 19, 2010 4:26 am

Hi chaps.

Not so much a beta as another preview this time sorry...

Much of the map is changing again atm, visual style will be America circa 1770.

Replace the last preview .pk3 with this one :

http://www.4shared.com/file/pQ7-Kmie/_2 ... st_01.html

--------------------
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
steve
Pistolero

Postby LuckyGenDago » Mon Jul 19, 2010 11:25 pm

hello steve
i think you need to overwork the model range.
it could scare somebody if there is a new model in front of his eyes which wasn't there one second ago.
but great work at all.

greetings
zIu
[IngameName] mS.Dago
TS Admin
LuckyGenDago
Gunslinger

Postby RailedRobin » Mon Jul 19, 2010 11:38 pm

Haven't gotten around to test this map yet, but it looks really good, judging by the screenshots.
A bullet may have your name on it, but dynamite is addressed "to whom it may concern."
RailedRobin
Quick Draw

Postby Biondo » Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:19 pm

Steve, I downloaded and explored your map, and all I can say is I'm astonished!

The overall feeling is to walk in a real village, not in a game map, the buildings are so realistically designed from their proportions to their details and textures...
Ah, the broken glasses, the aged woods, the walls, the tombstones of the graveyard, and those rocks and stones emerging from the ground...

I'd be curious to know from where did you get the inspiration, real life towns, movies, photographs... From which part of the world?

Of course I found many imperfections (hall of mirrors, missing textures, objects that disappear when you approach them, a floating lamp ...) but I know the map is a work in progress. I took screenshots of the flaws I found, if you need them ask me (I play in Linux, SG 1.0).

I'm looking forward to play against humans in your map :)
The map is large and labyrinthine, developed high inside the houses, with close roads and no open space. Sure an original design among SG maps.

Congratulations again.
Biondo
SG Website Designer

Postby steve » Fri Jul 23, 2010 5:37 am

Hi there Gidrago.

Thanks for the rather eloquent compliments, I've never actually received anything like it for something I've created (this is actually the first the environment I've ever created from scratch for release).

Inspiration came from a couple of sources but mainly from a rather old map for the modification I used to be a team member of called The Battlegrounds. The map was called 'bg_newengland' and it was quite a visually interesting map, the textures and architecture were definitely not all in the era the mod was aiming for (1770 America) but it is the single most enjoyable map I've ever played. I think I had a link to a ancient webpage about it somewhere....

http://www.lanmaniax.com/maps_old/html/ ... ngland.htm

If you wouldn't mind posting those screenshots of map errors here it would be a huge help as I don't currently have internet access at home (I've been uploading all this via free internet at my local library).

An idea that has been floating around in my head that I would like to attempt is that of *giving* the robber team the cash bag initially somewhere close to spawn (perhaps directly to a player) and then forcing the game to be played as an 'escape' map rather then rob-bank+escape, as from what I understand the gametype is flawed in the same way that hostage rescue was somewhat flawed in Counter-Strike where it is simply more effective to kill the opposing team rather then achieve the objective.

I think that the problem arose where the defending team just camped the goal (in this case the safe/s) and it was nigh on impossible for the opposing team to reach them without heavy losses (usually the whole team).

I realize this would just adapt itself to the defending team just camping the exit point rather then the safe, but provided that I make the exit area un-campable (still allowing areas for defence along the routes to it) by making it largely open (or full of various smaller bits of cover useful for both teams) it could make for forced adaptive defense depending on how many players are present and if the attacking/escaping team choose to escape using multiple routes or a single route en-force.

EDIT :

Also, does anybody know if you can change the bonus the robbing team/individual with the cash bag receives for winning?
steve
Pistolero

Postby Biondo » Fri Jul 23, 2010 10:05 am

Steve, all congratulations are sincere and well-deserved!

Battlegrounds: do you mean the mod of HalfLife? I have to give it a try.

I have to say that I'm not a developer nor a mapper, but just a player. ReDNeckersoN, Pardner, Joe Kari and others can give you a more useful feedback. Anyhow, here are some of the screenshots of map errors I took [in Linux, SG 1.0].

Disappearing objects when you approach them (axes in front of the door):

Image Image

A flying lamp:

Missing textures:

Image Image Image Image Image

If I spectate I can see many roofs become invisible, and hall of mirrors everywhere:

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

I think you already know of these problems. If not, I hope this doesn't mean you have a lot of work to do to correct them!

About Bank-Robbery: I never play BR so I'm not the right one to give a feedback to your proposal. It seems a good idea though. Maybe you can re-post your proposal in other threads of the forum, because I see there is active discussion about new gametypes.

Keep on with the great work!
Biondo
SG Website Designer

Postby Sucalakafufu » Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:07 am

depending on where you place the spawnpoints, the money, and the exit, BR can actually be a pretty even challenge for both the Robbers and the Defenders. I haven't gotten around to running your map yet since I've been busy but I would say maybe we could test the finished product as a normal BR map and also with this new type of BR and see what works better for the map.

Looking really good though so far :)
SG Name: Sucalakafufu
Clan: [CWNN] - Clan With No Name
Sucalakafufu
Gunslinger

Postby steve » Tue Aug 10, 2010 3:59 am

http://img686.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=netradss05.jpg

cant post ingame shots atm, big changes coming.
steve
Pistolero

Postby ^SDE^Evans » Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:13 am

nice map
^SDE^Evans
Shootist

Postby steve » Wed Aug 11, 2010 4:17 am

Thanks Evans.

Also, about those bugs:

The hom/vanishing segments of the map when in spectator mode is due to my use of anti-portals to improve the performance of the map by blocking vis's ability to 'see' over the houses. This works great for maps like this where much of the obstacles/path restrictions are large buildings/houses, but it looks rather messy when you get above the roofline (i.e in spectator mode). Without them the map would take a rather major performance blow.

The objects vanishing/appearing from nowhere is my feeble attempt at using farclip... I've dropped it from the majority of the props in my map as I tighten up visibility.

Missing textures is... due to my sloppiness. Heh.

Much of the map is having a facelift atm (dutch colonial is my new flavor of the month), the large warehouse with the safe is being replaced with a slightly more complicated layout using multiple buildings (safe is also changing location).
steve
Pistolero

PreviousNext

Return to Level Editing

Show Sidebar
Show Sidebar

User Control Panel